* Setting user-emacs-directory
@ 2008-10-21 14:08 abc
From: abc @ 2008-10-21 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent Emacs convert. I'm trying to customize a little bit GNU
Emacs 23 for my Mac OS X system.

I'd like change the user directory (usually ~/.emacs.d) and the init
file placing them inside ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs and ~/Library/
Preferences/Emacs/Preferences.el, respectively. Currently I'm
achieving this by using symbolic links.

I'd like to know if there's a cleaner way to do this other than
editing Emacs scripts (subr.el), e.g. by setting some environment
variables. I've tried to set the user-emacs-directory from my init
file, but Emacs ignores me, and still creates auto-save-list inside
~/.emacs.d.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Setting user-emacs-directory
@ 2008-10-22  0:25 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.1754.1224635369.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-10-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   I'd like change the user directory (usually ~/.emacs.d) and the init
   file placing them inside ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs and ~/Library/
   Preferences/Emacs/Preferences.el, respectively. Currently I'm
   achieving this by using symbolic links.

I have set up a minimal .emacs (in my $HOME directory) which is
in charge of this (see below).

(setq user-init-file "blah blah")
(setq user-emacs-directory "my emacs.d directory")
(add-to-list 'load-path .....)  ;; long list of directories here
(require 'xma-autoloads "/home/xma/usr/share/emacs/autoloads")
(require 'slime-autoloads)
(load user-init-file)

Hope that'll help.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2008-10-22 14:26   ` abc
From: abc @ 2008-10-22 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your reply.

I had already tried setting user-init-file and user-emacs-directory
from a .emacs in $HOME.

However, Emacs insists on writing stuff in my .emacs.d directory. In
particular it creates it and puts auto-save-list inside. Any ideas?

- Arcadio

@ 2008-11-12 23:25     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-11-12 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

[sorry for the delay]

   However, Emacs insists on writing stuff in my .emacs.d directory. In
   particular it creates it and puts auto-save-list inside. Any ideas?

My guess is simply that few emacs mode are doing wrong things
when saving "data" files ? What are the files you end up with in
your .emacs.d directory ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2008-11-13  0:06 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-11-13  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abc; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 15:08, abc <arcadiorubiogarcia@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like change the user directory (usually ~/.emacs.d) and the init
> file placing them inside ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs and ~/Library/
> Preferences/Emacs/Preferences.el, respectively. Currently I'm
> achieving this by using symbolic links.
>
> I'd like to know if there's a cleaner way to do this other than
> editing Emacs scripts (subr.el), e.g. by setting some environment
> variables.

Setting HOME to ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs for the Emacs process
you'll force it to use that directory, but you cannot change the name
of the init file, which is the first found from .emacs.elc, .emacs.el,
.emacs, .emacs.d/init.elc. .emacs.d/init.el.

> I've tried to set the user-emacs-directory from my init
> file, but Emacs ignores me, and still creates auto-save-list inside
> ~/.emacs.d.

Does it work adding this at the start of your .emacs?

(setq user-emacs-directory "~/Library/Preferences/Emacs/"
      auto-save-list-file-prefix (concat user-emacs-directory
"auto-save-list/.saves-"))

  Juanma

* Re: Setting user-emacs-directory
@ 2008-11-13 23:25   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-11-13 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, arcadiorubiogarcia

Hi,

   > I've tried to set the user-emacs-directory from my init
   > file, but Emacs ignores me, and still creates auto-save-list inside
   > ~/.emacs.d.

   Does it work adding this at the start of your .emacs?

         auto-save-list-file-prefix (concat user-emacs-directory
   "auto-save-list/.saves-"))

It should behave this way by default when not on a MS platform
(at least with emacs23).

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org