* Set org-file-apps to open a *.doc file under linux with Word ?
@ 2013-12-04 21:37 AW
       [not found] ` <mailman.8139.1386193990.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: AW @ 2013-12-04 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm using orgmode as a replacement for folders, you know, real folders, lots
of paper inside.

In my orgfiles I link to many other files, mostly *.tex and *.pdf, links look
like

[[./foo.pdf][About foo]]

Sometimes I can't avoid to link to doc  or docx files. So I need my linux pc to
start word and load a certain file.

I'd like to link to *.doc files in the same way:

[[./bar.doc][About that draft]]

But how can I set org-file-apps to open a *.doc file with MS Word under Linux?
Word works, more or less.

To start word the command is:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/AW/.wine-office" wine "C:\windows\command\start.exe" /Unix
"/home/AW/.wine-office/dosdevices/c:/users/AW/Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft
Office/Microsoft Word 2010.lnk"

But how in the world can I put in my .emacs file? I tried:

 (add-to-list 'org-file-apps
   '("\\.doc" . "\"env WINEPREFIX="/home/AW/.wine-office" wine
"C:/windows/command/start.exe"
 /Unix "/home/AW/.wine-office/dosdevices/c:/users/AW/Start
Menu/Programs/Microsoft Office/Microsoft Word 2010.lnk"\" %s"))

But I get:

Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Regards,

Alexander

* Re: Set org-file-apps to open a *.doc file under linux with Word ?
@ 2013-12-04 21:55 ` AW
       [not found] ` <mailman.8139.1386193990.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: AW @ 2013-12-04 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Wrong list! Sorry for the noise!

@ 2013-12-04 22:10   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-04 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:

> Wrong list! Sorry for the noise!

Well, there might be an even better list, but I don't
think this is OT on this list, on the contrary. I never
used wine, but did you try any of the Open, Libre, or
Star Office word processors? I don't know because I
don't use them but one would suspect they are capable
of doing transparent edits to Word documents. That way
you don't have to worry about wine.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573