* Whole word line truncation
@ 2006-11-17 14:33 tim_milstead
From: tim_milstead @ 2006-11-17 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please note that this is semi related to me other post on smart
indenting but sufficiently different to make it work putting in as
separate subject...

Is there a way to make emacs line truncation work at word rather than
character boundaries? In other words I'd like to wrap lines without
breaking words.

Thanks,

Tim.

* Re: Whole word line truncation
@ 2006-11-17 14:58 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-11-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Nov 2006 06:33:50 -0800 tim milstead wrote:

> Is there a way to make emacs line truncation work at word rather than
> character boundaries? In other words I'd like to wrap lines without
> breaking words.

Have a look at long-lines-mode.  It comes with Emacs 22 (that
is the already pretty stable developer version).

David

* Re: Whole word line truncation
@ 2006-11-17 17:31 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-11-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

<tim_milstead@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Please note that this is semi related to me other post on smart
> indenting but sufficiently different to make it work putting in as
> separate subject...
>
> Is there a way to make emacs line truncation work at word rather than
> character boundaries? In other words I'd like to wrap lines without
> breaking words.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim.

With line continuation (i.e. no autofill), lines break after character
just to the left of the fringe. With truncation, all characters to the
right of the fringe are invisible. If you don't want to get into
long-lines.el then you can just turn on autofill with a width between
about 150-170 characters (depending on screen geometry,  frame size, font
type and size). Lines break at words whenever autofill is on.

e.g. C-u 160 C-x f
;; experiment with C-u argument if you really think you need your lines to
go all the way to the fringe.
M-q
or
M-x auto-fill-mode