* How can I make my caps lock key act like a control key?
@ 2008-07-16  6:53 ken
From: ken @ 2008-07-16  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

This is more a Linux systems question than an emacs problem.  But
hopefully no one here will be too offended.

As with most things unix and, more, linux, there's a number of ways.
What I've done is swapped Control and CapsLock in the system file where
they are initially defined, in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/.
Depending upon your machine (uname -m) and how it's set up, the file you
want to look at might be in a different directory.  On some Linuxes you
can find the file with "cat /etc/defkeymap.name".  If this works for
you, then you should just be able to hand edit /etc/defkeymap.map... it
should be obvious what editing needs to be done.  If I'm remembering
correctly, you'd just want to change the line beginning

keycode  58 =

to read "Control" instead of "Caps_Lock".

Alternatively, you could make a copy of your preferred keyboard map in
or around /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ (naming it, say,
nocapslock.map), edit that file in the same sort of way as above, and
then write in nocapslock.map into /etc/defkeymap.map.

Because these are a system files, the key(s) are swapped for anyone
using this machine without X (which, for all practical purposes on my
system, is just myself).

There's other ways to do what you want... query a search engine for them
if you're interested in alternative, probably more doctrinaire methods.

hth.

Hi,
I am having trouble mapping my caps lock key to control key in my linux
shell(NOT X). I want both the control and caps lock keys to act like control
keys.  I've tried using loadkeys and I'm not getting errors, but I can't get
it to work.  I've used dumpkeys to get a keymap, edited the map to where
both the caps lock and control keys have the same key code (58 i think).  I
then load this map with loadkeys and there are no errors but nothing
happens.  I tried opening a new shell just in case and still no changes have
occurred.
Help on this issue would be appreciated.

* How can I make my caps lock key act like a control key?
@ 2008-07-15 16:09 emacs615