Hi Eli, hi list Eli Zaretskii writes: > You didn't answer my first question: how these umlauts were produced. > Did you copy them from another text, perhaps? And how is the way you > produced those umlauts differs from the way you type the > latin-iso8859-1 characters after the quotation? I hope I get your question right. The umlauts that are encoded in iso-8859-15 appear in the mail by executing the function vm-reply-include-text. It is bound to the R-key when in an Mailbox-Summary buffer in vm. It sets up an answer to the email under the point citing the content of the original. The cited text keeps umlauts encoded in iso-8859-15. Thus, it is an automatical function not under direct control of the user. But I think, this must be the place from where a possible solution has to set out. Namely, I need to tell Emacs to translate iso-8859-15 encoded characters to iso-8859-1 when executing vm-reply-include-text. Regretably, I have no idea how to do that. Anyway, what Peter and Tom remark sounds strange. There must be some difference in the umlauts of the two coding systems, at least for Emacs. Because the iso-8859-15 umlauts of the cited text alway look different from the ones I type in iso-8859-1. The former are displayed in another font. Maybe it has to do with my general KDE-settings? I live in Switzerland and we don't need the Euro character at all. Possibly iso-8859-15 isn't installed on the system (anyway, I use utf-8 as default for all KDE programs and for Emacs). Does Emacs inherit parts of its own coding configuration from KDE? Just because I wonder why iso-8859-15 does not appear in the list when I execute describe-coding-system. Also, when I change the coding system using M-x prefer-coding-system iso-8859-15 and type äöü, these characters are described as belonging to iso-8559-1 when I check them with C-u C-x =. Maybe iso-8859-15 is not supported fully with my present Emacs configuration? Can this be the problem? Sorry, guys. I really like to have this problem solved. I like vm as my Email client and I don't want to change. I experimented with mutt yesterday but I didn't fall in love with it as much as I did with vm. Emacs rules! Eli, do you think the problem wouldn't exist in Emacs 22? I use 21 from the standard package of Debian Etch. Thank you for helping me Sven