* Re: what mode?: double-quote yields nothing until next keystroke; how to turn off?
       [not found] <mailman.4144.1196107757.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-26 20:24 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-11-26 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel B. wrote:
> (It does not appear to be something in Windows.  When
> one Emacs instance is exhibiting those symptoms, I can
>
> run another copy of Emacs and that second copy works
> normally.)

i suspect it *is* a feature of windows. in (modern versions of) windows,
keyboard settings are window-dependent. that is, you can have setting X for
one window, and setting Y for another.

check the internationalisation settings in windows, and see if a specific
key combo is set for switching keyboard layouts. my bet is there is, and i
suspect you're accidentally typing it. the default key combo is left
alt+left shift key, a combo that you may sometimes need for Emacs to type
e.g. M-< or M->.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

@ 2007-11-26 20:56 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-11-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Daniel B." <daniel76@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> "Daniel B." <daniel76@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > Somehow I keep accidentally getting Emacs into a mode
>> > in which a double-quote keystroke yields nothing until
>> >
>> > I press another key, at which time Emacs inserts the
>> > two characters I meant (or one character composed from
>> >
>> > them).
>> >
>> > What mode is this?
>>
>> C-\ runs the command toggle-input-method ...
>
> That doesn't seem to be the mode I'm encountering.
>
> 1. Typing C-\ prompts me for an input method name.

Huh?  Doesn't here.  Not when called without prefix argument.

> 3. With an input method enabled by C-\ (at least using
> the "ucs" and "spanish-prefix" methods), Emacs
> displays
> the first character (underlined) as soon as I type it.
> The symptom I was experiencing is that the display
> doesn't change at all until I type the next character.

The default would be latin-1-prefix usually, and that has exactly the
described behavior.

* Re: what mode?: double-quote yields nothing until next keystroke; how to turn off? - SOLVED
@ 2007-11-28 15:54   ` Daniel B.
From: Daniel B. @ 2007-11-28 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

--- Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Daniel B. wrote:
> > (It does not appear to be something in Windows.
> When
> > one Emacs instance is exhibiting those symptoms, I
> can
> >
> > run another copy of Emacs and that second copy
> works
> > normally.)
>
> i suspect it *is* a feature of windows. in (modern
> versions of) windows,
> keyboard settings are window-dependent. ...
>
> ...see if a specific
> key combo is set for switching keyboard layouts. ...
> suspect you're accidentally typing it. the default
> key combo is left
> alt+left shift key, ...

Yes, is was that.  Thanks.

(I thought Windows gave some on-screen indication
when one switched input modes.  Does that only apply
to languages/locales and not just keyboard layouts?)

Daniel

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs