* How can I turn off the electricity in C-mode?
@ 2007-05-31  0:49 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2007-05-31  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The auto-indent feature is really nice and I like it 99% of the time.
For certain files, though, I do not.  I would like to have a
``Local Variables:'' entry at the bottom of these few files that
would just make it go away.  I've been Googling and reading manuals
for an hour now, to no avail.  It is possible to do, isn't it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Bruce

* Re: How can I turn off the electricity in C-mode?
       [not found] <mailman.1437.1180572556.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-31 10:41 ` Hadron
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1449.1180628065.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron @ 2007-05-31 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bruce Korb <Bruce.Korb@gmail.com> writes:

> The auto-indent feature is really nice and I like it 99% of the time.
> For certain files, though, I do not.  I would like to have a
> ``Local Variables:'' entry at the bottom of these few files that
> would just make it go away.  I've been Googling and reading manuals
> for an hour now, to no avail.  It is possible to do, isn't it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards, Bruce

I dont know about local variables but in c-mode its bound to C-c C-l
or M-x c-toggle-electric-state

* Re: How can I turn off the electricity in C-mode?
@ 2007-05-31 15:29   ` Bruce Korb
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1449.1180628065.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bruce Korb @ 2007-05-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:

> I dont know about local variables but in c-mode its bound to C-c C-l
> or M-x c-toggle-electric-state

M-x describe-key<RET>
C-c C-l is undefined

Must be a different version of c-mode.

M-x c-version yields:
Using CC Mode version 5.28
and M-x c-toggle-electric-state gets a beep.

C-c C-l would be convenient enough, tho the variable would be better.
Maybe I can figure out how to make a minor mode for these weirdly
formatted files and trigger that minor mode....

I'm updating emacs now.  Thank you.  Regards, Bruce

@ 2007-05-31 18:54     ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2007-05-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Bruce Korb wrote (on 5/31/2007 8:29 AM):
> Hadron wrote:
>> I dont know about local variables but in c-mode its bound to C-c C-l
>> or M-x c-toggle-electric-state
>
> M-x describe-key<RET>
> C-c C-l is undefined
>
> Must be a different version of c-mode.
>
> M-x c-version yields:
> Using CC Mode version 5.28
> and M-x c-toggle-electric-state gets a beep.
>
> C-c C-l would be convenient enough, tho the variable would be better.
> Maybe I can figure out how to make a minor mode for these weirdly
> formatted files and trigger that minor mode....
>
> I'm updating emacs now.  Thank you.  Regards, Bruce

 From Emacs 22.0.50.1 (Using CC Mode version 5.31.3):

c-toggle-electric-state is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`cc-cmds.el'.
(c-toggle-electric-state &optional arg)

Toggle the electric indentation feature.
Optional numeric arg, if supplied, turns on electric indentation when
positive, turns it off when negative, and just toggles it when zero or
left out.

Mark