From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Subject: Re: How to install packages
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:05:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 04.07.2006 um 12:09 schrieb news:

> (autoload 'help+ "help+"
>   "Command to give better help" t)
>
> but it isn't working.

What is your proof? Autoload does not "compile-in" that package, it
just allows you to use a few more functions and variables, those from
this package. Once you use such a function or variable or access the
package's customisation interface, it really gets "loaded." This is a
feature of Emacs Lisp, at least.

> Again I'm probably doing something silly here - but I'm not sure
> what. I also can't seem to find a simple guide to installing
> packages on the internet anywhere, and not all packages seem to
> have instructions at the top of their .el file.

Some packages offer a provide, then you simply require them. To
install any Elisp code put these files into a directory mentioned in
the variable load-path. Best is to choose something site specific.
Putting lines like these into a file that is loaded early you can see
in *Messages* what gets loaded:

	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
	  (message "(Hinted by Kai G) Loading now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

--
Greetings

   Pete

War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
                                        -- Anonymous