* emacs on a remote server
@ 2009-12-17 14:07 Prateek Sadhukhan
From: Prateek Sadhukhan @ 2009-12-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

This is what I want to do. I want to start emacs as a server on one
machine (say A) and then connect to it from another machine (say B). Is
it possible?

1. When A and B are both linux
2. When A is linux and B is windows.

Regards
Prateek

* Re: emacs on a remote server
@ 2009-12-18 14:18 ` andrea
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: andrea @ 2009-12-18 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Prateek Sadhukhan <psadhukh@cisco.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is what I want to do. I want to start emacs as a server on one
> machine (say A) and then connect to it from another machine (say
> B). Is it possible?
>
> 1. When A and B are both linux
> 2. When A is linux and B is windows.

A simple way is to use screen, but that only works from the terminal.
The integrated server is not working via tcp/ip if I understood
correctly, I think some external packages like gnuserv should be able to..

* Re: emacs on a remote server
@ 2009-12-18 15:24 ` despen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: despen @ 2009-12-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Prateek Sadhukhan <psadhukh@cisco.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is what I want to do. I want to start emacs as a server on one
> machine (say A) and then connect to it from another machine (say
> B). Is it possible?
>
> 1. When A and B are both linux
> 2. When A is linux and B is windows.

If emacs is running on A, you'll need to execute a command on A.
You can do that by using ssh,rsh, or whatever.

You can "talk" to the running emacs on A with emacsclient.

All you need then is to tell the running emacs to create a frame on
the remote display.

* Re: emacs on a remote server
@ 2009-12-18 19:35 ` jpkotta
       [not found] ` <mailman.13181.1261181662.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jpkotta @ 2009-12-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 17, 8:07 am, Prateek Sadhukhan <psadh...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is what I want to do. I want to start emacs as a server on one
> machine (say A) and then connect to it from another machine (say B). Is
> it possible?
>
> 1. When A and B are both linux
> 2. When A is linux and B is windows.
>
> Regards
> Prateek

I often work on a computer in a lab (Windows) and connect to the emacs
daemon running on my workstation (Linux).  I have cygwin with ssh and
X on the lab machine and I just start an X server and do "ssh -X
user@workstation emacsclient ..." to get an emacs frame on the remote
machine.  I needed to change the DPI of the cygwin X server to get the
fonts at a reasonable size, because cygwin's X was not detecting
properly; YMMV.

* Re: emacs on a remote server
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-19  0:14 ` Suvayu Ali
       [not found] ` <mailman.13181.1261181662.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2009-12-19  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Prateek,

On Thursday 17 December 2009 06:07 AM, Prateek Sadhukhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is what I want to do. I want to start emacs as a server on one
> machine (say A) and then connect to it from another machine (say B). Is
> it possible?
>
> 1. When A and B are both linux
> 2. When A is linux and B is windows.

Please look at this post[1], and the rest of that thread. I think the
discussion there answers your questions.

[1]http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-09/msg00100.html

GL
--
Suvayu

* Re: emacs on a remote server
       [not found] ` <mailman.13181.1261181662.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-21  5:18   ` Prateek Sadhukhan
From: Prateek Sadhukhan @ 2009-12-21  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Thanks all of you. I will try all these and see.

Regards
Prateek