* font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-24 22:46 bramble
From: bramble @ 2007-10-24 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd been setting my Emacs font using the following in my ~/.Xresources
file:

emacs.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-
iso10646-1

I'm using Ubuntu GNU/Linux, and recently updated to 7.10, and then
removed the emacs snapshot package and installed the plain emacs
package (which is version 22 now).

Trouble is, the font reverted back to courier. How do I get my nice
small 6x13 font back?

* Re: font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-25  9:51 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2546.1193305903.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-25  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bramble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.10.2007 um 00:46 schrieb bramble:

> I'm using Ubuntu GNU/Linux, and recently updated to 7.10, and then
> removed the emacs snapshot package and installed the plain emacs
> package (which is version 22 now).

What do you mean with ``plain´´?

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
                        -- I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        -- A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                        -- F. Flintstone

* Re: font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-25 10:14 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found] ` <mailman.2546.1193305903.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-10-25 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 24 Oct, 23:46, bramble <cadet.bram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> emacs.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-
> iso10646-1

Emacs-22 requires a Latin-1 font for displaying ASCII text, so change
the final iso10646-1 to iso8859-1. If you don't have an exact match,
use xlsfonts to see how close you can get.

@ 2007-10-25 12:55   ` bramble
From: bramble @ 2007-10-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 837 bytes --]

On Oct 25, 5:51 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 25.10.2007 um 00:46 schrieb bramble:
>
> > I'm using Ubuntu GNU/Linux, and recently updated to 7.10, and then
> > removed the emacs snapshot package and installed the plain emacs
> > package (which is version 22 now).
>
> What do you mean with ``plain´´?

Whoops. Sorry about not being clear. The previous version of Ubuntu
had 2 different emacs deb packages available. Emacs 21, and one with
"snapshot" in the package name (I think it was emacs-snapshot-gtk)
which was version 22.

After updating Ubuntu to the current version, my system still had that
older "snapshot" package installed. So, I used aptitude to remove/
purge it, and then installed the regular ("plain") "emacs" package
(which depends on and pulls in the "emacs22-gtk" package).

* Re: font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-25 13:19   ` bramble
From: bramble @ 2007-10-25 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 25, 6:14 am, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Oct, 23:46, bramble <cadet.bram...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > emacs.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-
> > iso10646-1
>
> Emacs-22 requires a Latin-1 font for displaying ASCII text, so change
> the final iso10646-1 to iso8859-1. If you don't have an exact match,
> use xlsfonts to see how close you can get.

Interestingly enough, it turns out that it works with the original
font name (with the 10646 in it).

I got it to work by changing "emacs.font:" in my ~/.Xresources to
"emacs22.font". There seems to be an Ubuntu bug here. Even though I
install the main Emacs 22 package named "emacs", and it grabs its
dependency (emacs22-gtk), I don't get an executable named "emacs". I
only get one named "emacs22".

Thanks.

* Re: font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-25 13:50     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-10-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bramble <cadet.bramble@gmail.com> writes:

> I got it to work by changing "emacs.font:" in my ~/.Xresources to
> "emacs22.font". There seems to be an Ubuntu bug here. Even though I
> install the main Emacs 22 package named "emacs", and it grabs its
> dependency (emacs22-gtk), I don't get an executable named "emacs". I
> only get one named "emacs22".

You could use "Emacs.font" to define the resource regardless of the name
of the executable.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-25 14:53     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-25 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bramble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.10.2007 um 14:55 schrieb bramble:

> The previous version of Ubuntu
> had 2 different emacs deb packages available. Emacs 21, and one with
> "snapshot" in the package name (I think it was emacs-snapshot-gtk)
> which was version 22.

"Snapshot" says that this package has been made from an "unreleased"
software, at some moment taken off some CVS or SVN or GIT or whatever
repository – like a snapshot. A "plain" release is made of released
software.

GNU Emacs examples: while GNU Emacs 21.1 was released, CVS had
21.3.50 in development;
                     while GNU Emacs 21.2 was released, CVS had
22.0.50 in development;
                     while GNU Emacs 22.1 is released, CVS has
23.0.50 in development ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

* Re: font setting stopped working in Emacs 22 (Ubuntu)
@ 2007-10-25 18:43     ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-10-25 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bramble <cadet.bramble@gmail.com> writes:

> I got it to work by changing "emacs.font:" in my ~/.Xresources to
> "emacs22.font". There seems to be an Ubuntu bug here. Even though I
> install the main Emacs 22 package named "emacs", and it grabs its
> dependency (emacs22-gtk), I don't get an executable named "emacs". I
> only get one named "emacs22".

You seem to have a problem with the "emacs" alternative that has
likely been caused by removing the preferred flavor
(emacs-snapshot?).  See
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=433567 for an
instance of this problem.

I'd suggest you try "sudo update-alternatives --auto emacs" and see if
this fixes the problem.

Regards,
        Sven