* Terminal mode and TRAMP just hang
@ 2007-10-20  5:07 Philip
From: Philip @ 2007-10-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

GNU emacs 22.1 running native in Windows (not the cygwin version but I
am using cygwin-mount.el).
M-x shell works fine with cygwin bash
M-x term with cygwin bash as the shell just hangs with nothing at all
in the buffer and the buffer responds to nothing at all. In fact I
have to get to another buffer to get Emacs to respond again so I can
kill the terminal buffer.
If Ieave the shell as the default (cmdproxy.exe), M-x term shows the
initial prompt but then does nothing, repsonds to nothing etc.

Any ideas? All works fine in XEmacs (but I've only tested a fully
cygwinised version to be fair).

I think it's related but TRAMP just hangs too.

I think I might have read somewhere that native NTemacs doesn't like
using cygwin versions of bash/ssh etc? But M-shell doesn't seem to
mind ...

PK

* Re: Terminal mode and TRAMP just hang
@ 2007-10-20 11:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-10-20 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Philip@kime.org.uk" <Philip@kime.org.uk>
> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:07:16 -0700
>
> I think I might have read somewhere that native NTemacs doesn't like
> using cygwin versions of bash/ssh etc? But M-shell doesn't seem to
> mind ...

Yes, the native Windows build of Emacs and Cygwin programs such as
Bash are subtly incompatible, due to the way they handle console I/O.
I'm not surprised that some commands work, while others don't.

I'd advise against trying this mix, or else use the Cygwin build of
GNU Emacs.  But if you _really_ want to pursue this, the right place
to post such problems is on emacs-devel@gnu.org, perhaps you will find
there people who have this figured out, or maybe find the cause of the
problem and fix it in the development sources.