* Advanced Inheriting when Customizing Faces
@ 2007-08-06  8:31 Nordlöw
       [not found] ` <mailman.4430.1186390632.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-08-06  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do I customize a face to be boxed with the foreground of a another
face, in my case cursor face?

I guess I can use a lisp expression in the dialog entries when doing
customize-face() and if so I extract the foreground attribute of the
cursor-face to put in this entry.

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: Advanced Inheriting when Customizing Faces
@ 2007-08-06  8:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4430.1186390632.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-06  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: =?iso-8859-1?B?Tm9yZGz2dw==?= <per.nordlow@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:31:38 -0700
>
> How do I customize a face to be boxed with the foreground of a another
> face, in my case cursor face?

Inherit from the cursor face (by checking the check-box "Inherit" and
inserting the cursor face name), and then check the check-box "Box
around text".

Is that what you wanted?  If not, why not?

@ 2007-08-06  9:10   ` Nordlöw
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4432.1186400293.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-08-06  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6 Aug, 10:56, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: =?iso-8859-1?B?Tm9yZGz2dw==?= <per.nord...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:31:38 -0700
>
> > How do I customize a face to be boxed with the foreground of a another
> > face, in my case cursor face?
>
> Inherit from the cursor face (by checking the check-box "Inherit" and
> inserting the cursor face name), and then check the check-box "Box
> around text".
>
> Is that what you wanted?  If not, why not?

Doing this does not make the "Box around text"-color in my new face be
the background color of cursor-face.

I have found the package highlight-symbol.el very useful to highlight
the symbol at the cursor.

I am however not quite satisfied with the visual distinguishing of all
the occurrencies of the current symbol.

Therefore I am customizing highlight-symbol-face in the package
highlight-symbol.el in the way described above.

@ 2007-08-06 11:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4432.1186400293.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-06 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: =?iso-8859-1?B?Tm9yZGz2dw==?= <per.nordlow@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:10:07 -0000
>
> On 6 Aug, 10:56, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > > From: =?iso-8859-1?B?Tm9yZGz2dw==?= <per.nord...@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:31:38 -0700
> >
> > > How do I customize a face to be boxed with the foreground of a another
> > > face, in my case cursor face?
> >
> > Inherit from the cursor face (by checking the check-box "Inherit" and
> > inserting the cursor face name), and then check the check-box "Box
> > around text".
> >
> > Is that what you wanted?  If not, why not?
>
> Doing this does not make the "Box around text"-color in my new face be
> the background color of cursor-face.

Sorry, it sounds like I didn't understand what you want.  Which parts
of the face do you want to be in the color of the cursor?  You said
"foreground" originally, but now it looks like you want the box itself
(which by default inherits the background color) to have that color.

If you do what I suggested above, and in addition check the check-box
"Inverse-video" and set its value to ON, do you get the desired
effect?

@ 2007-08-09 10:11       ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-08-09 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Okey, sorry if was unclear:

I want my new face to have the "Box around text"-color set to
(inherited by) the background color of the cursor-face. I have tried
to inherit cursor-face but this does not give me a box-color in the
background-color of the cursor-face.

Can I do this with customize-face or custom-set-faces?

/Nordlöw