From: Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: C++ browser for overloaded methods
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:45:39 -0400	[thread overview]

Abanowicz Tomasz wrote:
> On 7 Cze, 15:50, Scott Frazer <frazer.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 6, 8:02 am,AbanowiczTomasz <pawlac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> I'm looking for C++ code browser that can do the following.
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I tried etags and ebrowse but both of them jump toHuman::show(void)
>>> function.
>>> ctags from vim gives the list of all show(...) functions and allows me
>>> to manually choose the proper one.
>>> It is much better than blindly jumping to theHuman::show(...).
>>> Doesemacsallow more intelligent C++ browsing that solves the above
>>> problem ?
>>> What is the name of such a tools ?
>> I've wanted to scratch this itch for a while, and finally did:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EtagsSelect
>
> Great thanx for answer !!!
> Sorry for bothering You about it again.
>
> But this feature is very important form me.
> I tried the following tools: etags, etags-select, oo-browser, ebrowse,
> semantic, cscope.
> Unfortunately none of them is able to jump to the definition of the
> function without asking any questions.
> I agree, It is very complex task.
> Now I claim that emacs just can't do that.
> Now I would be glad about showing me the list of tags to jump to and
> allowing me to choose from the list the proper one by number.
> Unfortunately AFAIK emacs is not able to do that as well.
> This task is easily performed by VIM's ctags. It works fast and
> reliable in VIM's ctags.
> In emacs it just doesn't work. Even more AFAIK there is not such
> functionality in emacs.
>
> etags-select - show the suspicious message "No exact match for tag"
> and furthermore does not allow choosing the tag from the list by
> number. You have to go through the list of tags using the arrow keys.
> It is very inconvenient when the list of tags is very long.

Yeah, that's my bad on that one.  Someone else pointed out the same problem
a few days ago ...

I always use ctags (http://ctags.sourceforge.net) to generate my TAGS tables
and didn't realize the standard etags can create several different kinds of tag
entries.  I'm working on supporting those now.

I don't have any plans to number the entries, but I'll think about it.

Scott