* Anybody is using 'tabbar.el'?
@ 2007-04-27 21:28 Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-04-27 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, group,

I am using 'tabbar.el' and it works great. The problem is that all the
tabs cannot wrap, that means if I open 30 files together, I can only
see the first several tabs names. Is it possible that the tabs can
wrap to 2 rows or 3 rows?
Thanks.

Vol

* Re: Anybody is using 'tabbar.el'?
@ 2007-04-27 23:22 ` Stephen Berman
       [not found] ` <mailman.2625.1177716561.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-04-27 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 27 Apr 2007 14:28:17 -0700 Vols <volunteers@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using 'tabbar.el' and it works great. The problem is that all the
> tabs cannot wrap, that means if I open 30 files together, I can only
> see the first several tabs names. Is it possible that the tabs can
> wrap to 2 rows or 3 rows?

No, because the tab bar resides in the header line, and each window
can only have one header line (this is implemented in the Emacs C
code, so it's not customizable).  But you can scroll the tab bar to
bring tabs into view; that's what the arrow heads at the left of the
tab bar are for.

Steve Berman

@ 2007-04-28  0:51   ` Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-04-28  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I saw there are two arrows there,  but the left arrow is always gray
and when I click the right arrow, nothing happened.

@ 2007-04-28  8:49   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-28  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: EMACS List, Vols

Am 28.04.2007 um 01:22 schrieb Stephen Berman:

>> I am using 'tabbar.el' and it works great. The problem is that all
>> the
>> tabs cannot wrap, that means if I open 30 files together, I can only
>> see the first several tabs names. Is it possible that the tabs can
>> wrap to 2 rows or 3 rows?
>
> No, because the tab bar resides in the header line, and each window
> can only have one header line (this is implemented in the Emacs C
> code, so it's not customizable).

There is also the function tabbar-shorten – could it be used to make
the names of the tabs limited to some characters?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.

* Re: Anybody is using 'tabbar.el'?
@ 2007-04-28 13:44     ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-04-28 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:49:03 +0200 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

>>> I am using 'tabbar.el' and it works great. The problem is that all
>>> the
>>> tabs cannot wrap, that means if I open 30 files together, I can only
>>> see the first several tabs names. Is it possible that the tabs can
>>> wrap to 2 rows or 3 rows?
>
> There is also the function tabbar-shorten – could it be used to make
> the names of the tabs limited to some characters?

It is used for that, but internally, it's not a user command.  If the
user customizes tabbar-auto-scroll-flag to nil, then tabbar-shorten is
automatically called.  (By default tabbar-auto-scroll-flag is t, which
means that the tab of the current buffer is always visible in the tab
bar.)

Steve Berman

From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-04-28 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 27 Apr 2007 17:51:50 -0700 Vols <volunteers@gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw there are two arrows there,  but the left arrow is always gray
> and when I click the right arrow, nothing happened.

The left arrow should only be gray when the first (leftmost) tab in
the current tabset is visible, so there's no need to scroll left.  The
right arrow should be grey when only one tab is visible, because you
cannot scroll right until no tabs are visible.  If the left arrow is
grey even when the first tab is not visible, or the right arrow does
not scroll when two or more tabs are visible, then it sounds like a
bug to me.  What version of tabbar.el are you using?  If you are using
the latest released version (tabbar-version 1.3), I would highly
recommend replacing it with the latest CVS version (tabbar-version
2.0, CVS 1.69), which has fixed numerous bugs and made various
improvements.  But if you do, be aware that there were major changes
between 1.3 and 2.0, and you may have to make changes to your ~/.emacs
or custom-file.

Steve Berman

@ 2007-04-29  5:08 ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2007-04-29  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vols <volunteers@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, group,
>
> I am using 'tabbar.el' and it works great. The problem is that all the
> tabs cannot wrap, that means if I open 30 files together, I can only
> see the first several tabs names. Is it possible that the tabs can
> wrap to 2 rows or 3 rows?
> Thanks.
>
> Vol

Try tabbar-forward and tabbar-backward and you may want to bind them.

    (global-set-key (kbd "a-key") 'tabbar-backward)
    (global-set-key (kbd "another-key") 'tabbar-forward)

It works for me.

--
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.