* Getting dired to list directories first in MSDOS
@ 2007-03-25  8:05 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2007-03-25  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
 not to your local site managers!!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

In GNU Emacs 20.5 (i386-pc-msdosdjgpp)
 of Sun Mar 19 2000 on pc
configured using `configure -'

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

The following Lisp code puts directories first in NT-Emacs,
where (insert (emacs-version)) equals:

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-03-11 on NYAUMO

My question is this: how do you get it to do the same thing under
MSDOS Emacs?

(progn
  ;;;
  ;;; COOL!!!!!!!!!!!
  ;;;
  (setq ls-lisp-ignore-case t)
  (setq ls-lisp-dirs-first t)
  (safe-require 'ls-lisp)
  )

Two more questions:

How do you get pasting to work between Emacs and Mozilla and vice
versa? (Note that I am using a DOS console.  Cutting and pasting
using NT Emacs works just fine.

How do you get Dos Emacs to load the file $HOME/.emacs
a.k.a ~/.emacs ?  I had to manually patch the line "Cmd line:"
in the properties field of the shortcut to Emacs.exe icon:

D:\PROGRA~1\EMACS-~1\gnu\emacs\bin\emacs.exe --load ~/.emacs

Recent input:
down up up M-x up RET C-y backspace backspace backspace
C-g C-g up up up up insert RET C-end RET s d f a s
d f a s f RET s d f s d f s d f up up up up up end
RET ; ; backspace backspace backspace backspace ; ;
; SPC SPC s a f a s d f j a s d ; f a s d f down down
down down S-backspace f2 C-y down left S-delete S-backspace
menu-bar edit down-mouse-1 mouse-movement mouse-1 home
C-k C-y down-mouse-1 mouse-movement mouse-1 M-x up
RET

Recent messages:
Quit [3 times]
<<< Press Return to bury the buffer list >>>

Mark set
(No files need saving)
Mark set [2 times]

* RE: Getting dired to list directories first in MSDOS
@ 2007-03-25 13:49 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.1420.1174855678.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-25 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson, help-gnu-emacs

> My question is this: how do you get it to do the same thing under
> MSDOS Emacs?
>
> (progn
>   (setq ls-lisp-ignore-case t)
>   (setq ls-lisp-dirs-first t)
>   (safe-require 'ls-lisp)
>   )

Works for me on MS Windows - dunno about MSDOS Emacs (what is it?).

I use a copy of ls-lisp.el that says:
;; $Id: ls-lisp.el,v 1.50 2004/02/15 18:06:30 fjw Exp $

I also use dired-sort-menu.el and dired-sort-menu+.el:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/dired-sort-menu%2b.el.

* Re: Getting dired to list directories first in MSDOS
@ 2007-03-25 20:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1420.1174855678.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-03-25 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: 25 Mar 2007 01:05:45 -0700
>
> In GNU Emacs 20.5 (i386-pc-msdosdjgpp)
>  of Sun Mar 19 2000 on pc
> configured using `configure -'
>
> Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
> and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>
> The following Lisp code puts directories first in NT-Emacs,
> where (insert (emacs-version)) equals:
>
> GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-03-11 on NYAUMO
>
> My question is this: how do you get it to do the same thing under
> MSDOS Emacs?
>
> (progn
>   ;;;
>   ;;; COOL!!!!!!!!!!!
>   ;;;
>   (setq ls-lisp-ignore-case t)
>   (setq ls-lisp-dirs-first t)
>   (safe-require 'ls-lisp)
>   )

The answer is: the same as in NTEmacs, but you need to build Emacs
v21.x or later for MSDOS, since these ls-lisp options were not
available in Emacs 20.5 (which is what you have for MSDOS, see above).

> How do you get pasting to work between Emacs and Mozilla and vice
> versa? (Note that I am using a DOS console.  Cutting and pasting
> using NT Emacs works just fine.

On what version of Windows do you run the MSDOS build?  You cannot use
the Windows clipboard from the MSDOS Emacs on Windows NT, W2K, and XP
(and the rest of the NT family): the API that lets DOS programs access
the Windows clipboard is not available on those Windows versions.
Complain to Bill Gates.

On Windows 9x, the Windows clipboard _is_ supported, and should work
as it does in the NTEmacs build: any C-w and M-w puts text into the
clipboard, and C-y/M-y examine the clipboard before the kill ring.

> How do you get Dos Emacs to load the file $HOME/.emacs
> a.k.a ~/.emacs ?

You need to call the file _emacs, not .emacs.  (This is in the manual,
btw.)  The reason is that DOS doesn't allow file names that begin with
a dot.

@ 2007-03-26 10:44   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2007-03-26 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 26, 8:45 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pear...@gmail.com>
> > Date: 25 Mar 2007 01:05:45 -0700
>
> > In GNU Emacs 20.5 (i386-pc-msdosdjgpp)
> >  of Sun Mar 19 2000 on pc
> > configured using `configure -'
>
> > Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
> > and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>
> > The following Lisp code puts directories first in NT-Emacs,
> > where (insert (emacs-version)) equals:
>
> > GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-03-11 on NYAUMO
>
> > My question is this: how do you get it to do the same thing under
> > MSDOS Emacs?
>
> > (progn
> >   ;;;
> >   ;;; COOL!!!!!!!!!!!
> >   ;;;
> >   (setq ls-lisp-ignore-case t)
> >   (setq ls-lisp-dirs-first t)
> >   (safe-require 'ls-lisp)
> >   )
>
> The answer is: the same as in NTEmacs, but you need to build Emacs
> v21.x or later for MSDOS, since these ls-lisp options were not
> available in Emacs 20.5 (which is what you have for MSDOS, see above).

Thank you for your help.  Where can I get myself a copy of
V21.x or later compiled for MSDOS (i.e. DJGPP).  It does not
appear in the following folder:

ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/

I would rather not have to compile emacs from the sources if possible,
as that would entail installing DJGPP not to mention the hassles in
getting the C compiler to work.

> > How do you get pasting to work between Emacs and Mozilla and vice
> > versa? (Note that I am using a DOS console.  Cutting and pasting
> > using NT Emacs works just fine.
>
> On what version of Windows do you run the MSDOS build?  You cannot use
> the Windows clipboard from the MSDOS Emacs on Windows NT, W2K, and XP
> (and the rest of the NT family): the API that lets DOS programs access
> the Windows clipboard is not available on those Windows versions.
> Complain to Bill Gates.

I am running Windows XP so that explains why it doesn't work.

> On Windows 9x, the Windows clipboard _is_ supported, and should work
> as it does in the NTEmacs build: any C-w and M-w puts text into the
> clipboard, and C-y/M-y examine the clipboard before the kill ring.
>
> > How do you get Dos Emacs to load the file $HOME/.emacs
> > a.k.a ~/.emacs ?
>
> You need to call the file _emacs, not .emacs.  (This is in the manual,
> btw.)  The reason is that DOS doesn't allow file names that begin with
> a dot.

Thank you for your knowledgable advice.  I am running a web design
course for high schools so this kind of help will benefit me immensely
in knowing how to use Gnu free software.

* Re: Getting dired to list directories first in MSDOS
@ 2007-03-26 21:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-03-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: 26 Mar 2007 03:44:14 -0700
>
> > The answer is: the same as in NTEmacs, but you need to build Emacs
> > v21.x or later for MSDOS, since these ls-lisp options were not
> > available in Emacs 20.5 (which is what you have for MSDOS, see above).
>
> Thank you for your help.  Where can I get myself a copy of
> V21.x or later compiled for MSDOS (i.e. DJGPP).  It does not
> appear in the following folder:
>
> ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/

That's because the last binary of Emacs submitted there was the
version you have.

Sorry, I don't know where you can find a precompiled DJGPP binary of
Emacs 21.x or later, or even if such a beast exists somewhere on the
net.  Maybe someone else does.