* skeleton-pair-insert-maybe parenthesis in cc-mode
@ 2007-03-05 18:47 stuart.tett
From: stuart.tett @ 2007-03-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I've added code to my dotemacs file to use the skeleton-pair-
insert-maybe for quotes,parenthesis,brackets,etc.
For buffers that are in cc-mode, it only works with quotes, single
quotes, and brackets "[]". It doesn't work for parenthesis or braces
"{}"

In other modes, though, they all seem to work fine.

Does, cc-mode disable these somehow? How can I override those
settings.

Thanks.

* Re: skeleton-pair-insert-maybe parenthesis in cc-mode
@ 2007-03-05 19:09 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-03-05 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 mar, 10:47, "stuart.t...@gmail.com" <stuart.t...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi, I've added code to my dotemacs file to use the skeleton-pair-
> insert-maybe for quotes,parenthesis,brackets,etc.
> For buffers that are in cc-mode, it only works with quotes, single
> quotes, and brackets "[]". It doesn't work for parenthesis or braces
> "{}"
>
> In other modes, though, they all seem to work fine.
>
> Does, cc-mode disable these somehow? How can I override those
> settings.
>
> Thanks.

Check what is returned for '(' with C-h k and tell us.

* Re: skeleton-pair-insert-maybe parenthesis in cc-mode
@ 2007-03-06  0:56   ` stuart.tett
From: stuart.tett @ 2007-03-06  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

( runs the command c-electric-paren
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `cc-cmds.el'.
It is bound to ), (.
When I am in a cc-mode file it returns:

(c-electric-paren arg)

Insert a parenthesis.

If `c-syntactic-indentation' and `c-electric-flag' are both non-nil,
the
line is reindented unless a numeric arg is supplied, or the
parenthesis
is inserted inside a literal.

Whitespace between a function name and the parenthesis may get added
or
removed; see the variable `c-cleanup-list'.

Also, if `c-electric-flag' and `c-auto-newline' are both non-nil, some
newline cleanups are done if appropriate; see the variable `c-cleanup-
list'.

In the *scratch* buffer it returns:

( runs the command skeleton-pair-insert-maybe
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `skeleton.el'.
It is bound to {, [, <, (, ', ".
(skeleton-pair-insert-maybe arg)

Insert the character you type arg times.

With no arg, if `skeleton-pair' is non-nil, pairing can occur.  If the
region
is visible the pair is wrapped around it depending on `skeleton-
autowrap'.
Else, if `skeleton-pair-on-word' is non-nil or we are not before or
inside a
word, and if `skeleton-pair-filter-function' returns nil, pairing is
performed.
Pairing is also prohibited if we are right after a quoting character
such as backslash.

If a match is found in `skeleton-pair-alist', that is inserted, else
the defaults are used.  These are (), [], {}, <> and `' for the
symmetrical ones, and the same character twice for the others.

@ 2007-03-07  4:58     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-07  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Please don't top-post.]

stuart.tett@gmail.com wrote:
> ( runs the command c-electric-paren
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `cc-cmds.el'.
> It is bound to ), (.
> When I am in a cc-mode file it returns:
>
> (c-electric-paren arg)
>
> Insert a parenthesis.
>
> If `c-syntactic-indentation' and `c-electric-flag' are both non-nil,
> the
> line is reindented unless a numeric arg is supplied, or the
> parenthesis
> is inserted inside a literal.
>
> Whitespace between a function name and the parenthesis may get added
> or
> removed; see the variable `c-cleanup-list'.
>
> Also, if `c-electric-flag' and `c-auto-newline' are both non-nil, some
> newline cleanups are done if appropriate; see the variable `c-cleanup-
> list'.
>
> In the *scratch* buffer it returns:
>
> ( runs the command skeleton-pair-insert-maybe
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `skeleton.el'.
> It is bound to {, [, <, (, ', ".
> (skeleton-pair-insert-maybe arg)
>
> Insert the character you type arg times.
>
> With no arg, if `skeleton-pair' is non-nil, pairing can occur.  If the
> region
> is visible the pair is wrapped around it depending on `skeleton-
> autowrap'.
> Else, if `skeleton-pair-on-word' is non-nil or we are not before or
> inside a
> word, and if `skeleton-pair-filter-function' returns nil, pairing is
> performed.
> Pairing is also prohibited if we are right after a quoting character
> such as backslash.
>
> If a match is found in `skeleton-pair-alist', that is inserted, else
> the defaults are used.  These are (), [], {}, <> and `' for the
> symmetrical ones, and the same character twice for the others.

Isn't it obvious:

(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (local-set-key "(" 'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA