* Help: aquamacs setup destroyed
@ 2007-01-26 17:40 Sebastian Meisel
From: Sebastian Meisel @ 2007-01-26 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

After moving from Linux to Mac, I came to using aquamacs for editing.
However I have problems with it's behaviour.
It doesn't handle my .emacs file right. Some options are some not.
Now after I once save the desktop. My whole setup is destroyed and I
dunno how to
make aquamacs do what I want it to.

Please help.

Sebastian Meisel
sebastianmeisel@web.de

* Re: Help: aquamacs setup destroyed
       [not found] <mailman.3628.1169833231.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-26 18:57 ` sean
From: sean @ 2007-01-26 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Solution: Don't use Aquamacs.  Instead, use the Carbon Emacs package
from the Apple downloads site, which doesn't muck with the default
behavior.

@ 2007-01-28 11:17 ` david.reitter
From: david.reitter @ 2007-01-28 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 26, 5:40 pm, Sebastian Meisel <sebastianmei...@web.de> wrote:

> After moving from Linux to Mac, I came to using aquamacs for editing.
> However I have problems with it's behaviour.
> It doesn't handle my .emacs file right. Some options are some not.

Aquamacs is based on GNU Emacs 22, while you may have been using Emacs
21 on GNU/Linux. This might cause some problems.

Apart from that, Aquamacs is adapted to fit in with the operating
system, but it is meant to be compatible with Emacs 22 customizations.
You can either turn off single adaptations (check out the Options
menu), or use a GNU Emacs for Carbon (e.g., Carbon Emacs Package or a
plain CVS binary.)

If you have problems with particular options, please give us more
detail. The Emacs-on-OS X mailing list can provide support relating to
Emacs on the Mac.

@ 2007-01-28 16:04 ` Chris Menzel
From: Chris Menzel @ 2007-01-28 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:40:25 +0100, Sebastian Meisel
<sebastianmeisel@web.de> said:

> After moving from Linux to Mac, I came to using aquamacs for editing.
> However I have problems with it's behaviour.  It doesn't handle my
> .emacs file right. Some options are some not.  Now after I once save
> the desktop. My whole setup is destroyed and I  dunno how to make
> aquamacs do what I want it to.

You might try starting from scratch; rename your .emacs and start
reintroducing options one by one.  Also, note that by default Aquamacs
Emacs uses ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs\ Emacs/Preferences.el instead
of .emacs.  You could of course make .emacs a symlink to that file (I
myself avoid this because it can cause problems if you use OS X Emacs
from the command line or if you use another species of Emacs under
Aqua).  Speaking personally, I've not found any option or package that I
use in the version of GNU Emacs I compiled myself that I can't use in
Aquamacs Emacs.