* cannot copy clipboard to other applications
@ 2006-12-24 12:22 Patrick Giraudoux
From: Patrick Giraudoux @ 2006-12-24 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear listers,

Strangely, I can copy clipboard from other applications to emacs (eg
with gedit C-c and then C-y into emacs) but NOT from emacs to other
applications (eg M-w in emacs and then C-v in gedit does not work).
Character coding is utf-8.

After some googling I replaced the line

(setq selection-coding-system 'compount-text-with-extension)

with

(setq selection-coding-system 'compount-text)

in the ~/.emacs file but it did not help.

I am using Emacs 21.4.1 on Ubuntu 6.10

Any hint?

Patrick

* Re: cannot copy clipboard to other applications
       [not found] <mailman.2312.1166962979.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-24 12:41 ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-24 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Dec 2006, patrick.giraudoux@univ-fcomte.fr wrote:

> Strangely, I can copy clipboard from other applications to emacs (eg
> with gedit C-c and then C-y into emacs) but NOT from emacs to other
> applications (eg M-w in emacs and then C-v in gedit does not
> work). Character coding is utf-8.

Either just use "middle click paste" or setup your clipboard manager to
synchronize the clipboard with the primary selection.

Charles

--
printk(KERN_WARNING MYNAM ": (bad VooDoo)\n");
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/message/fusion/mptctl.c

* Re: cannot copy clipboard to other applications
@ 2006-12-24 13:18   ` Rupert
From: Rupert @ 2006-12-24 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles philip Chan wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2006, patrick.giraudoux@univ-fcomte.fr wrote:
>
> > Strangely, I can copy clipboard from other applications to emacs (eg
> > with gedit C-c and then C-y into emacs) but NOT from emacs to other
> > applications (eg M-w in emacs and then C-v in gedit does not
> > work). Character coding is utf-8.
>
> Either just use "middle click paste" or setup your clipboard manager to
> synchronize the clipboard with the primary selection.
>
> Charles

You might want to try the elisp here in your .emacs file:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CopyAndPaste

Contrary to what Era Eriksson says, it works for me on Gnome/Linux.

Rupert

* Re: cannot copy clipboard to other applications
@ 2006-12-24 13:29     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2006-12-24 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| Emacs 21.2.1 & newer:
|
|  (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
`----

Interesting. Never knew this variable existed. You learn something new
everyday. :-)

Charles

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)

* Re: cannot copy clipboard to other applications
@ 2006-12-24 15:21     ` PG
From: PG @ 2006-12-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes indeed,

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

makes the trick perfectly (I have even just copied the command above from my
.emacs file....)

The middle button solution cannot be used here: I am working on a laptop
with a touchpad and just 2 buttons.

Thanks to everybody,

Patrick

@ 2006-12-25  4:38     ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2006-12-25  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rupert wrote:
> You might want to try the elisp here in your .emacs file:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CopyAndPaste
>
> Contrary to what Era Eriksson says, it works for me on Gnome/Linux.
>
> Rupert

Excellent, this lets me get rid of the Klipper option, synchronize
clipboard and selection (I kept forgetting, and it makes it impossible
to paste over a selection).

Thanks.

Matthew

* Re: cannot copy clipboard to other applications
@ 2006-12-25  5:55       ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2006-12-25  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)