* way to quickly jump to functions using menu created by mouse clicks
@ 2006-12-15 21:05 Badari Kakumani
       [not found] ` <mailman.1949.1166237360.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Badari Kakumani @ 2006-12-15 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

folks,

i am looking for easily configurable way using mouse-clicks to
preferably
open-up a menu of function-names in the current-buffer and jump to that
function on selecting the menu item.

currently i have a key bound to 'imenu' that generates the list of
function-names
in a separate buffer -- but i would have to go that other buffer and
select the function
i want using middle-mouse-button. i am not too happy with it.

so i am looking for interface similar to Ctrl-left-click to select
buffer or
Shift-click to select the fonts. i want to have such interface to
bring-up imenu
and allow me to select the function to jump to.

i know that i could use speed-bar -- but i don't like that interface
much.

any help/pointers are greately appreciated.

thanks,
-badari

* RE: way to quickly jump to functions using menu created by mouse clicks
@ 2006-12-15 21:54 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.1949.1166237360.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-12-15 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i am looking for easily configurable way using mouse-clicks to
> preferably
> open-up a menu of function-names in the current-buffer and jump to that
> function on selecting the menu item.
>
> currently i have a key bound to 'imenu' that generates the list of
> function-names
> in a separate buffer -- but i would have to go that other buffer and
> select the function
> i want using middle-mouse-button. i am not too happy with it.
>
> so i am looking for interface similar to Ctrl-left-click to select
> buffer or
> Shift-click to select the fonts. i want to have such interface to
> bring-up imenu
> and allow me to select the function to jump to.

I'm not sure I understand what you want, but here are two suggestions that I
think might give you what you want:

* A menu-bar menu "Defs" for Imenu - use only the mouse.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/imenu%2b.el

* Command `icicle-imenu' - an Imenu browser.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Enhancements#IciclesS
earchCommands

@ 2006-12-18 15:54   ` Badari Kakumani
From: Badari Kakumani @ 2006-12-18 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drew Adams wrote:
> > i am looking for easily configurable way using mouse-clicks to
> > preferably
> > open-up a menu of function-names in the current-buffer and jump to that
> > function on selecting the menu item.
> >
> > currently i have a key bound to 'imenu' that generates the list of
> > function-names
> > in a separate buffer -- but i would have to go that other buffer and
> > select the function
> > i want using middle-mouse-button. i am not too happy with it.
> >
> > so i am looking for interface similar to Ctrl-left-click to select
> > buffer or
> > Shift-click to select the fonts. i want to have such interface to
> > bring-up imenu
> > and allow me to select the function to jump to.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you want, but here are two suggestions that I
> think might give you what you want:
>
> * A menu-bar menu "Defs" for Imenu - use only the mouse.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/imenu%2b.el

hi drew,

basically i wanted to see a menu of functions using my mouse.
i couldn't figure out how to get imenu or imenu+ to do that.
may be i am missing something on how to use the imenu or imenu+
packages.
any pointers on the documentation are highly appreciated.

thanks,
-badari

@ 2006-12-18 16:51     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2074.1166468600.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-12-18 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > i am looking for easily configurable way using mouse-clicks to
> > > preferably
> > > open-up a menu of function-names in the current-buffer and
> jump to that
> > > function on selecting the menu item.
> >
> > * A menu-bar menu "Defs" for Imenu - use only the mouse.
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/imenu%2b.el
>
> basically i wanted to see a menu of functions using my mouse.
> i couldn't figure out how to get imenu or imenu+ to do that.
> may be i am missing something on how to use the imenu or imenu+
> packages. any pointers on the documentation are highly appreciated.
> thanks,-badari

I'm not sure what you mean. Imenu+ gives you a menu-bar menu, Defs, of
function (and variable etc.) definitions, which you can access using the
mouse. However, it does this only for Lisp. Perhaps you are looking for
something that does the same thing for a different language? If so, you
might be able to figure out how to do that (using Emacs Lisp), based on how
Imenu+ does it for Lisp.

To be sure we're communicating, does Imenu+ do what you want for Emacs-Lisp
files (*.el) at least? If not, try explaining again what it is that you are
looking for.

* Re: way to quickly jump to functions using menu created by mouse clicks
@ 2006-12-19  1:04     ` Ilya Zakharevich
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2074.1166468600.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2006-12-19  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Badari Kakumani
<badarisj@gmail.com>], who wrote in article <1166457244.287784.224830@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
> basically i wanted to see a menu of functions using my mouse.

I see it every day - using imenu.  Did you try to bind it to a mouse click?
I have it Shift-Alt-mouse-2 (and adding Control goes back to
initiatingq position - but this might need some programming).

Puzzled,
Ilya

@ 2006-12-21 16:13       ` Badari Kakumani
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2194.1166719954.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Badari Kakumani @ 2006-12-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drew Adams wrote:
> > jump to that
> > >
> > > * A menu-bar menu "Defs" for Imenu - use only the mouse.
> > > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/imenu%2b.el
> >
> > basically i wanted to see a menu of functions using my mouse.
> > i couldn't figure out how to get imenu or imenu+ to do that.
> > may be i am missing something on how to use the imenu or imenu+
> > packages. any pointers on the documentation are highly appreciated.
> > thanks,-badari
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. Imenu+ gives you a menu-bar menu, Defs, of
> function (and variable etc.) definitions, which you can access using the
> mouse. However, it does this only for Lisp. Perhaps you are looking for
> something that does the same thing for a different language? If so, you
> might be able to figure out how to do that (using Emacs Lisp), based on how
> Imenu+ does it for Lisp.
>
> To be sure we're communicating, does Imenu+ do what you want for Emacs-Lisp
> files (*.el) at least? If not, try explaining again what it is that you are
> looking for.

there is something i am really missing ;)

i am using emacs version 21.2.95.2 on sun machines.

the menu items at the top i see are as follows:

    File   Edit   Options  Buffers Tools  Emacs-Lisp Help

None of the above menus seem to lead me to imenu stuff.

is it possible that some other package that i am using is clobbering
the menu item put-forward by imenu?

not sure about the exact elisp code/functions that control the emacs
menus.
once i know the code/functions that control
this feature, i could grep the packages i have and see if they do any
funny things with my menus. any pointers are appreciated.

@ 2006-12-21 16:52         ` Drew Adams
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2194.1166719954.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-12-21 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > jump to that

> > > basically i wanted to see a menu of functions using my mouse.
> > > i couldn't figure out how to get imenu or imenu+ to do that.
> > > may be i am missing something on how to use the imenu or imenu+
> > > packages. any pointers on the documentation are highly appreciated.
> > > thanks,-badari
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean. Imenu+ gives you a menu-bar menu, Defs, of
> > function (and variable etc.) definitions, which you can access using the
> > mouse. However, it does this only for Lisp. Perhaps you are looking for
> > something that does the same thing for a different language? If so, you
> > might be able to figure out how to do that (using Emacs Lisp),
> > based on how Imenu+ does it for Lisp.
> >
> > To be sure we're communicating, does Imenu+ do what you want
> > for Emacs-Lisp files (*.el) at least? If not, try explaining again
> > what it is that you are looking for.
>
> there is something i am really missing ;)
> i am using emacs version 21.2.95.2 on sun machines.

That's fine.

> the menu items at the top i see are as follows:
>     File   Edit   Options  Buffers Tools  Emacs-Lisp Help
> None of the above menus seem to lead me to imenu stuff.

Did you load imenu+.el? Not just imenu.el, but imenu+.el (it will, in turn,
load imenu.el).

Did you visit an Emacs-Lisp file - for example, imenu+.el? In an Emacs-Lisp
buffer, you should see a separate menu-bar menu, Defs, with menu items for
definitions in the visited file. In a different buffer, that is not in
Emacs-Lisp mode, you will not see menu Defs.

> is it possible that some other package that i am using is clobbering
> the menu item put-forward by imenu?

Possible, but I doubt that is your problem.

> not sure about the exact elisp code/functions that control the emacs
> menus. once i know the code/functions that control
> this feature, i could grep the packages i have and see if they do any
> funny things with my menus. any pointers are appreciated.

Before you try to debug things, please make sure that you have actually
tried what I suggest above: load imenu+.el and then visit an Emacs-Lisp
file.

@ 2006-12-21 23:27           ` Badari Kakumani
From: Badari Kakumani @ 2006-12-21 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drew Adams wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what you mean. Imenu+ gives you a menu-bar menu, Defs, of
> > > function (and variable etc.) definitions, which you can access using the
> > > mouse. However, it does this only for Lisp. Perhaps you are looking for
> > > something that does the same thing for a different language? If so, you
> > > might be able to figure out how to do that (using Emacs Lisp),
> > > based on how Imenu+ does it for Lisp.
> > >
> > > To be sure we're communicating, does Imenu+ do what you want
> > > for Emacs-Lisp files (*.el) at least? If not, try explaining again
> > > what it is that you are looking for.
> >
> > there is something i am really missing ;)
> > i am using emacs version 21.2.95.2 on sun machines.
>
> That's fine.
>
> > the menu items at the top i see are as follows:
> >     File   Edit   Options  Buffers Tools  Emacs-Lisp Help
> > None of the above menus seem to lead me to imenu stuff.
>
> Did you load imenu+.el? Not just imenu.el, but imenu+.el (it will, in turn,
> load imenu.el).

yes. i did.

> Did you visit an Emacs-Lisp file - for example, imenu+.el? In an Emacs-Lisp

yes. i did.

> buffer, you should see a separate menu-bar menu, Defs, with menu items for
> definitions in the visited file. In a different buffer, that is not in
> Emacs-Lisp mode, you will not see menu Defs.

not sure how i missed it -- but, yes, i now see Defs menu-bar item that
lets me jum to selected function/macro etc of the .el file i am
visiting.

> > is it possible that some other package that i am using is clobbering
> > the menu item put-forward by imenu?
>
> Possible, but I doubt that is your problem.
>
> > not sure about the exact elisp code/functions that control the emacs
> > menus. once i know the code/functions that control
> > this feature, i could grep the packages i have and see if they do any
> > funny things with my menus. any pointers are appreciated.
>
> Before you try to debug things, please make sure that you have actually
> tried what I suggest above: load imenu+.el and then visit an Emacs-Lisp
> file.

now, i work mostly with perl files and load cperl package from
somewhere.
if i type 'M-x imenu' i DO see a separate buffer containing
function-names.
if i select function using Mouse-2 button, i do jump to that function.
BUT i do NOT see the neat 'Defs' menu-bar item you noted. how do i go
about fixing it?

thanks a lot for your help. much appreciated.

@ 2006-12-22  0:50             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-12-22  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> not sure how i missed it -- but, yes, i now see Defs menu-bar item that
> lets me jum to selected function/macro etc of the .el file i am
> visiting.

Good.

> now, i work mostly with perl files ...
> BUT i do NOT see the neat 'Defs' menu-bar item you noted. how do i go
> about fixing it?

imenu+.el won't help you here, except that you might try to use some of the
code as a model and do the same thing for perl. Or perhaps someone else has
done it already for perl.