* Parsing compilation error/warning not possible.
@ 2006-12-19 12:36 william.a.george
From: william.a.george @ 2006-12-19 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.
I'm using Emacs on WindowsXP.
I make compilations through emacs with an own written Makefile. The
compilation result is presented on a new buffer. It should be possible
to click on the error or warning message to go directly to the
corresponding line in the file where the error is.
But I can't make it happen. I have read a little bit about this, and
what I could find is something about (compilation-error-regexp-alist)
that should fix this in someway.
Can anyone tell me how this should be done?

Thanks in advance

William George.

* Re: Parsing compilation error/warning not possible.
@ 2006-12-19 19:18 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm using Emacs on WindowsXP.
> I make compilations through emacs with an own written Makefile. The
> compilation result is presented on a new buffer. It should be possible
> to click on the error or warning message to go directly to the
> corresponding line in the file where the error is.
> But I can't make it happen. I have read a little bit about this, and
> what I could find is something about (compilation-error-regexp-alist)
> that should fix this in someway.
> Can anyone tell me how this should be done?

Generally you do M-x compile
Then enter the command to make the program, eg "make"
Then you can select the errors one at a time by pressing C-x `

This will only work if your compiler emits messages in a format
understood by Emacs compile-mode.

* Re: Parsing compilation error/warning not possible.
@ 2006-12-19 20:38   ` william.a.george
From: william.a.george @ 2006-12-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Thorpe skrev:

> william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I'm using Emacs on WindowsXP.
> > I make compilations through emacs with an own written Makefile. The
> > compilation result is presented on a new buffer. It should be possible
> > to click on the error or warning message to go directly to the
> > corresponding line in the file where the error is.
> > But I can't make it happen. I have read a little bit about this, and
> > what I could find is something about (compilation-error-regexp-alist)
> > that should fix this in someway.
> > Can anyone tell me how this should be done?
>
> Generally you do M-x compile
> Then enter the command to make the program, eg "make"
> Then you can select the errors one at a time by pressing C-x `
>
> This will only work if your compiler emits messages in a format
> understood by Emacs compile-mode.

Thanks for your response.
The compilation part is OK. The problem is that it is not possible to
select the errors in any way. Not by C-x or clicking mouse 2 button or
any other way.
The question is if my compiler is emitting messages in a format that is
understood by emacs compile-mode, as you said.
How can I make the compile-mode to understand my compiler messages?

* Re: Parsing compilation error/warning not possible.
@ 2006-12-20  8:58     ` william.a.george
From: william.a.george @ 2006-12-20  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> Robert Thorpe skrev:
>
> > william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > > I'm using Emacs on WindowsXP.
> > > I make compilations through emacs with an own written Makefile. The
> > > compilation result is presented on a new buffer. It should be possible
> > > to click on the error or warning message to go directly to the
> > > corresponding line in the file where the error is.
> > > But I can't make it happen. I have read a little bit about this, and
> > > what I could find is something about (compilation-error-regexp-alist)
> > > that should fix this in someway.
> > > Can anyone tell me how this should be done?
> >
> > Generally you do M-x compile
> > Then enter the command to make the program, eg "make"
> > Then you can select the errors one at a time by pressing C-x `
> >
> > This will only work if your compiler emits messages in a format
> > understood by Emacs compile-mode.
>
> Thanks for your response.
> The compilation part is OK. The problem is that it is not possible to
> select the errors in any way. Not by C-x or clicking mouse 2 button or
> any other way.
> The question is if my compiler is emitting messages in a format that is
> understood by emacs compile-mode, as you said.
> How can I make the compile-mode to understand my compiler messages?

Hi again.
I wanted to show the syntax for errors and warnings generated by my
compiler:
terminal.c:
  5946: 	while ( (*buf_p != ':') && (*buf_p != CR) && (*buf_p != '\0')
)
E  42: syntax error, expecting statement
  5997: }
W  68: function "GetIntelHex": parameter "stream" not used
W 183: variable 'content_p' possibly uninitialized
total errors: 1, warnings: 2

Maybe this can help in case emacs doesn't understand the compilers
generated errors/warnings.

* Re: Parsing compilation error/warning not possible.
@ 2006-12-20 18:54       ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-20 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> > Robert Thorpe skrev:

> > > Generally you do M-x compile
> > > Then enter the command to make the program, eg "make"
> > > Then you can select the errors one at a time by pressing C-x `
> > >
> > > This will only work if your compiler emits messages in a format
> > > understood by Emacs compile-mode.
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> > The compilation part is OK. The problem is that it is not possible to
> > select the errors in any way. Not by C-x or clicking mouse 2 button or
> > any other way.
> > The question is if my compiler is emitting messages in a format that is
> > understood by emacs compile-mode, as you said.
> > How can I make the compile-mode to understand my compiler messages?
>
> Hi again.
> I wanted to show the syntax for errors and warnings generated by my
> compiler:
> terminal.c:
>   5946: 	while ( (*buf_p != ':') && (*buf_p != CR) && (*buf_p != '\0')
> )
> E  42: syntax error, expecting statement
>   5997: }
> W  68: function "GetIntelHex": parameter "stream" not used
> W 183: variable 'content_p' possibly uninitialized
> total errors: 1, warnings: 2
>
> Maybe this can help in case emacs doesn't understand the compilers
> generated errors/warnings.

I don't think it does.  There is a standard in the GNU coding standards
for errors, what you've showed me doesn't follow it.

You can though write your own compilation-parse-errors, or more simply
customize compilation-error-regexp-alist to recognise what you need.

* Re: Parsing compilation error/warning not possible.
@ 2006-12-22 11:53         ` william.a.george
From: william.a.george @ 2006-12-22 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Thorpe wrote:
> william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:
> > william.a.george@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thanks for your response.
> > > The compilation part is OK. The problem is that it is not possible to
> > > select the errors in any way. Not by C-x or clicking mouse 2 button or
> > > any other way.
> > > The question is if my compiler is emitting messages in a format that is
> > > understood by emacs compile-mode, as you said.
> > > How can I make the compile-mode to understand my compiler messages?
> >
> > Hi again.
> > I wanted to show the syntax for errors and warnings generated by my
> > compiler:
> > terminal.c:
> >   5946: 	while ( (*buf_p != ':') && (*buf_p != CR) && (*buf_p != '\0')
> > )
> > E  42: syntax error, expecting statement
> >   5997: }
> > W  68: function "GetIntelHex": parameter "stream" not used
> > W 183: variable 'content_p' possibly uninitialized
> > total errors: 1, warnings: 2
> >
> > Maybe this can help in case emacs doesn't understand the compilers
> > generated errors/warnings.
>
> I don't think it does.  There is a standard in the GNU coding standards
> for errors, what you've showed me doesn't follow it.
>
> You can though write your own compilation-parse-errors, or more simply
> customize compilation-error-regexp-alist to recognise what you need.

Hi Again.
That is exactly what I wanted to know. How do tailor my own
compilation-parse-errors.
It would be nice if you could give me some hints or examples... I'm a
beginner when it comes to emacs and lisp.
Thanks.