* ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-09-19 19:28 ilan pillemer
From: ilan pillemer @ 2006-09-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am attempting to ange-ftp my webhost which is bluehost.
However instead of opening up the ftp directory I get the error
500 This security scheme is not implemented

And in a window in emacs I get this text:
ftp> open pillemer.org
Connected to pillemer.org.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 10 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 13:26. Server port: 21.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
user "pillemer" Turtle Power!
500 This security scheme is not implemented
500 This security scheme is not implemented
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> 331 User pillemer OK. Password required
230-Your bandwidth usage is restricted
230-User pillemer has group access to:  pillemer
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
ftp>

* ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-18 16:33 Kitten
       [not found] ` <mailman.2088.1166486649.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kitten @ 2006-12-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do any of you emacs gurus have any idea what this log means, and why
ftp doesn't work from my emacs installation anymore? FWIW, I am able to
log in via Explorer when I go to ftp://ftp.boop.net
(I've changed the website & usernames to protect the innocent).

(C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe)
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Password for u357@ftp.boop.net:
Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .
Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: ..
Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .......
Opening FTP connection to ftp.boop.net...done
Logging in as user u357@ftp.boop.net...done
Getting PWD...done
Listing /u357@ftp.boop.net:/...done
ange-ftp-barf-if-not-directory: Opening directory: no such file or
directory, /u357@ftp.boop.net:/
Quit

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19  0:04 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.2088.1166486649.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-19  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kitten wrote:
> Do any of you emacs gurus have any idea what this log means, and why
> ftp doesn't work from my emacs installation anymore? FWIW, I am able to
> log in via Explorer when I go to ftp://ftp.boop.net
> (I've changed the website & usernames to protect the innocent).
>
> (C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe)
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> Password for u357@ftp.boop.net:
> Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .
> Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: ..
> Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .......
> Opening FTP connection to ftp.boop.net...done
> Logging in as user u357@ftp.boop.net...done
> Getting PWD...done
> Listing /u357@ftp.boop.net:/...done
> ange-ftp-barf-if-not-directory: Opening directory: no such file or
> directory, /u357@ftp.boop.net:/
> Quit

I have never been able to make the ftp.exe that comes with MS Windows
(you are using that aren't you?) to work with Emacs. See

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp

* Re: ange-ftp problem
       [not found] ` <mailman.2088.1166486649.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-19  5:01   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-12-19  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote in message
> Kitten wrote:
> > Do any of you emacs gurus have any idea what this log means, and why
> > ftp doesn't work from my emacs installation anymore? FWIW, I am able
> > log in via Explorer when I go to ftp://ftp.boop.net
> > (I've changed the website & usernames to protect the innocent).
> >
> > (C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe)
> > For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net:
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: ..
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .......
> > Opening FTP connection to ftp.boop.net...done
> > Logging in as user u357@ftp.boop.net...done
> > Getting PWD...done
> > Listing /u357@ftp.boop.net:/...done
> > ange-ftp-barf-if-not-directory: Opening directory: no such file or
> > directory, /u357@ftp.boop.net:/
> > Quit
> >

> I have never been able to make the ftp.exe that comes with MS Windows
> (you are using that aren't you?) to work with Emacs. See
>
>    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp

I can get this ftp.exe  from the emacswiki to work in a dos window but not
through Emacs.  I read:

331 User myusername okay, need password.

But this is not really correct since my user name itself needs an @ sign
in it and this interferes with the parsing of the entire argument to C-x
C-f , including a second @ sign after the user name.
Is there some way around this problem?

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19 11:19     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-19 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.12.2006 um 06:01 schrieb B. T. Raven:

> Is there some way around this problem?

TRAMP? RTFM?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19 11:55       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-19 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 19.12.2006 um 06:01 schrieb B. T. Raven:
>
>> Is there some way around this problem?
>
> TRAMP? RTFM?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

Maybe Ed can find the answer there, but I can't. Could you please be
more specific Pete?

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19 12:29         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2097.1166532046.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

Am 19.12.2006 um 12:55 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 19.12.2006 um 06:01 schrieb B. T. Raven:
>>
>>> Is there some way around this problem?
>>
>> TRAMP? RTFM?
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>   Pete
>
> Maybe Ed can find the answer there, but I can't. Could you please
> be more specific Pete?

The first option is a modern alternative to ange-ftp. I think Emacsen
21.x don't have it, it must fetched from Internet, http://www.gnu.org/
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/ is its archive.

RTFM should be a well-known acronym recommending to read some text.
When I was using ange-ftp its info node was very helpful to escape
off unusual circumstances. Although I think I had to ask ange (Andy
Norman) once or twice for a clue ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

                   Sorry my terrible English, my native language Lisp!

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19 12:40           ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2099.1166534045.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2097.1166532046.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-19 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> Maybe Ed can find the answer there, but I can't. Could you please be
>> more specific Pete?
>
> The first option is a modern alternative to ange-ftp. I think Emacsen
> 21.x don't have it, it must fetched from Internet,
> http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/. And there is also a mailing list
> for TRAMP, http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/ is its archive.
>
> RTFM should be a well-known acronym recommending to read some text.
> When I was using ange-ftp its info node was very helpful to escape off
> unusual circumstances. Although I think I had to ask ange (Andy
> Norman) once or twice for a clue ...

Thanks Pete, but I tried reading the Tramp info node for CVS Emacs but
could not find anything about usernames that included @. But I am not
the perfect reader ;-) -- some more specific hints would be appreciated.

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19 13:10             ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2099.1166534045.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

Am 19.12.2006 um 13:40 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> I tried reading the Tramp info node for CVS Emacs but could not
> find anything about usernames that included @

Reasonable! Both, ange-ftp and TRAMP, offer to ask for a user name
and a password. TRAMP uses, if no other input is given, the name
"anonymous" and the recent Emacs user's eMail address as password. I
don't remember any more how ange-ftp worked (could be it was reading
my ~/.netrc), but this is an option: try it blank! If the compound of
user name and host name is given with two "@": how can the parser
decide where the divide is? Right from @ is the host, left from @ is
the user. Clear standard. And that mix-up probably is the cause for
failure ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Work is the curse of the drinking class.        — Oscar Wilde

* Re: ange-ftp problem
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2097.1166532046.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-19 13:40             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2006-12-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter Dyballa, help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Thanks Pete, but I tried reading the Tramp info node for CVS Emacs but
> could not find anything about usernames that included @. But I am not
> the perfect reader ;-) -- some more specific hints would be
> appreciated.

>From the Emacs 22 Changelogs:

2005-08-07  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>

	* net/tramp.el (tramp-user-regexp): Allow "@" as part of user name.

2003-12-29  Michael R. Wolf  <MichaelRWolf@att.net>  (tiny change)

	* net/ange-ftp.el (ange-ftp-name-format): Allow USER to contain
	"@", as required by some ISP hosting service.

But I've never tried it by myself.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp problem
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2099.1166534045.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-19 13:44               ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2006-12-19 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, B. T. Raven

> Reasonable! Both, ange-ftp and TRAMP, offer to ask for a user name
> and a password. TRAMP uses, if no other input is given, the name
> "anonymous" and the recent Emacs user's eMail address as password.

Tramp does not "offer to ask for a user name". You can specify it as
part of the remote file name.

Tramp does nothing in case of ftp. It passes all arguments to ange-ftp.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp problem
@ 2006-12-19 15:04     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-12-19 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@alcisp.com> wrote in message

> "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote in message

[...]

> > I have never been able to make the ftp.exe that comes with MS Windows
> > (you are using that aren't you?) to work with Emacs. See
> >
> >    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp
> >

> I can get this ftp.exe  from the emacswiki to work in a dos window but
not
> through Emacs.  I read:
>
> 331 User myusername okay, need password.
>
> But this is not really correct since my user name itself needs an @ sign
> in it and this interferes with the parsing of the entire argument to C-x
> C-f , including a second @ sign after the user name.
> Is there some way around this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Thanks, all. By running custom on a couple of ange-ftp settings I was able
to access the webspace through Emacs:

 '(ange-ftp-default-password "password")
 '(ange-ftp-default-user "username@isp.com")

I don't like the password in plaintext even in .emacs but I suppose that
line could be taken out and I would be prompted for the password
interactively.

Of course rtfm is always excellent advice as long as we don't require that
the user first know as much about Emacs as RMS does before she dares to
ask a question.

I assume that Tramp has something to do with remote file transfer. I've
head the term before but I didn't ask about that. I just wanted to use ftp
through Emacs instead of having to go through WS_FTP and now I can (on
msw98 - Emacs 21.3, no less). Apparently the ftp.exe distributed with
mswin was at fault.