* $EMACS, used to be set to "t", now it's set to the path of the emacs binary?
@ 2006-11-26 11:05 Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2006-11-26 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I used to have this section in my .bashrc-file:
if [ "$EMACS" == "t" ]
then
    PS1='\n\[\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]\n$ '
fi

in order to get a good looking prompt in shell mode under cygwin
(otherwise it would contain ugly control chars). Now I noticed it
doesn't work anymore and it seems that $EMACS no longer contains t (for
true I guess), but instead it contains the path of the emacs binary
used to start this invocation of emacs. When was this changed?
I changed my .bashrc to if [ "$EMACS" != "" ] and that seems to work.
Is there a better way?

/ E

* Re: $EMACS, used to be set to "t", now it's set to the path of the emacs binary?
@ 2006-11-26 12:59 ` Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2006-11-26 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Lilja skrev:

> Hi, I used to have this section in my .bashrc-file:
> if [ "$EMACS" == "t" ]
> then
>     PS1='\n\[\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]\n$ '
> fi
>
> in order to get a good looking prompt in shell mode under cygwin
> (otherwise it would contain ugly control chars). Now I noticed it
> doesn't work anymore and it seems that $EMACS no longer contains t (for
> true I guess), but instead it contains the path of the emacs binary
> used to start this invocation of emacs. When was this changed?

I see the change in the NEWS file now. Must have happened some time
after mid-september 2006.

> I changed my .bashrc to if [ "$EMACS" != "" ] and that seems to work.
> Is there a better way?

Anyway, this check seems to work just fine.

@ 2006-11-26 14:10   ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-11-26 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eric Lilja" <mindcooler@gmail.com> writes:

>> I changed my .bashrc to if [ "$EMACS" != "" ] and that seems to work.
>> Is there a better way?
>
> Anyway, this check seems to work just fine.

Yes, that's quite robust. The change is reverted in CVS, and a new
variable, INSIDE_EMACS (set to "t" in comint-mode) is introduced.

All the best,
Markus Triska