* disable tramp
@ 2006-11-14 13:57 Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2006-11-14 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to use Emacs 22 on Windows, which apparently comes with tramp
enabled.  I've never been able to get tramp working, so how do I get
rid of the damn thing and just go back to using ange-ftp for editing remote
files?

- Will

* Re: disable tramp
@ 2006-11-14 14:31 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2006-11-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Will Parsons wrote:
> I'm trying to use Emacs 22 on Windows, which apparently comes with tramp
> enabled.  I've never been able to get tramp working, so how do I get
> rid of the damn thing and just go back to using ange-ftp for editing remote
> files?
>
> - Will

It's not a matter of getting rid of it.  Just specify the protocol you
want.
Put ftp: before the username@sys-name portion.

\ftp:myid@172.24.11.1:\\drive\dir\filename.txt
 ----

* Re: disable tramp
@ 2006-11-14 16:22   ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2006-11-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

rgb wrote:

> Will Parsons wrote:
>> I'm trying to use Emacs 22 on Windows, which apparently comes with tramp
>> enabled.  I've never been able to get tramp working, so how do I get
>> rid of the damn thing and just go back to using ange-ftp for editing remote
>> files?

> It's not a matter of getting rid of it.  Just specify the protocol you
> want.
> Put ftp: before the username@sys-name portion.
>
> \ftp:myid@172.24.11.1:\\drive\dir\filename.txt

I don't want to have to type ftp: every time I access a remote file.  So,
once more, how do I disable tramp?

- Will

* Re: disable tramp
@ 2006-11-14 16:30     ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-11-14 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

wbp@nodomain.invalid (Will Parsons) writes:

> how do I disable tramp?

>From M-x view-emacs-news:

If you want to disable Tramp you should set

  (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")

Removing Tramp, and re-enabling Ange-FTP, can be achieved by M-x
tramp-unload-tramp.

-- Markus Triska

* Re: disable tramp
@ 2006-11-14 16:37     ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2006-11-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Will Parsons wrote:
> rgb wrote:
>>
>> Will Parsons wrote:
>>> I'm trying to use Emacs 22 on Windows, which apparently comes with tramp
>>> enabled.  I've never been able to get tramp working, so how do I get
>>> rid of the damn thing and just go back to using ange-ftp for editing remote
>>> files?
>

>> It's not a matter of getting rid of it.  Just specify the protocol you
>> want.
>> Put ftp: before the username@sys-name portion.
>>
>> \ftp:myid@172.24.11.1:\\drive\dir\filename.txt
>
> I don't want to have to type ftp: every time I access a remote file.  So,
> once more, how do I disable tramp?

I guess I should have been a bit more conscientious in checking the Emacs
News - the way in clearly documented:

  (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")

My apologies for taking up bandwidth.

- Will