* how to keep/restore my view and mode?
@ 2006-09-21  5:23 Leo.Hou
From: Leo.Hou @ 2006-09-21  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am not sure if I am using the right term of "view" and "mode". My
problem is as follows:

I am using C-x 3 and "follow-mode" to view my source code. Every time I
compile, the other column becomes the result of make. I need to use a
lot of keys to switch it back to normal: C-x o; C-x k; C-x o; M-x
follow-mode
Is there a better way?

And I'd also want to know how to kill the buffer in the other window
without switching to it by C-x o

Thanks in advance

Leo

* Re: how to keep/restore my view and mode?
@ 2006-09-21  6:53 ` mirror
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: mirror @ 2006-09-21  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-x r f

@ 2006-09-21  8:13 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-21  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Sep 2006 22:23:54 -0700 Leo Hou wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am not sure if I am using the right term of "view" and "mode". My
> problem is as follows:
>
> I am using C-x 3 and "follow-mode" to view my source code. Every time I
> compile, the other column becomes the result of make. I need to use a
> lot of keys to switch it back to normal: C-x o; C-x k; C-x o; M-x
> follow-mode
> Is there a better way?

C-x r w <some letter or number> to store a window layout and
C-x r j <the same number or letter> to restore it. And there
is no need to kill the compilation buffer.  It gets reused
anyway.

David

* Re: how to keep/restore my view and mode?
@ 2006-09-21 14:52 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-09-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo.Hou wrote:
> I am not sure if I am using the right term of "view" and "mode". My
> problem is as follows:
>
> I am using C-x 3 and "follow-mode" to view my source code. Every time I
> compile, the other column becomes the result of make. I need to use a
> lot of keys to switch it back to normal: C-x o; C-x k; C-x o; M-x
> follow-mode
> Is there a better way?

You could display the *Compilation* buffer in its own frame:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
       (cons "*compilation*" special-display-buffer-names))

> And I'd also want to know how to kill the buffer in the other window
> without switching to it by C-x o

How about a keyboard macro:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 k") (kbd "C-x o C-x k C-x o"))

--
Kevin

* Re: how to keep/restore my view and mode?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-22  5:52 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-09-22  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Leo.Hou" <leo.hou@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I am not sure if I am using the right term of "view" and "mode". My
> problem is as follows:
>
> I am using C-x 3 and "follow-mode" to view my source code. Every time I
> compile, the other column becomes the result of make. I need to use a
> lot of keys to switch it back to normal: C-x o; C-x k; C-x o; M-x
> follow-mode
> Is there a better way?

M-x winner-undo

winner-undo is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `winner.el'.
It is bound to C-c <left>.
(winner-undo)

Switch back to an earlier window configuration saved by Winner mode.
In other words, "undo" changes in window configuration.

--
William

You have all eternity to be cautious in when you're dead.
		-- Lois Platford

* Re: how to keep/restore my view and mode?
@ 2006-10-14 22:41   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-10-14 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1158821595.023428.175130@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
mirror <googleartist@yahoo.com> wrote:
>C-x r f

Really?

Mine might be wrong, it C-h k on it says:

C-x r f runs the command frame-configuration-to-register
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `register'.
(frame-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)

Store the window configuration of all frames in register REGISTER.
Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
Argument is a character, naming the register.

David