* navigate through big java projects and refactoring
@ 2006-09-03 15:17 op132650c
From: op132650c @ 2006-09-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to work with emacs for programming Java. Is there any other way then
using the speedbar and ECB program, to open files easily from a big project,
instead of having to write the full path to the source file, or navigate
through project browser of ECB? Something like, only have to write the full, or
partial name of the java file, and open it.

Is there any other refactoring tool for emacs, instead of ECB?

Thanks,
Pedro

* RE: navigate through big java projects and refactoring
@ 2006-09-03 15:46 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-09-03 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I want to work with emacs for programming Java. Is there any
    other way then using the speedbar and ECB program, to open files
    easily from a big project, instead of having to write the full
    path to the source file, or navigate through project browser
    of ECB? Something like, only have to write the full, or
    partial name of the java file, and open it.

    Is there any other refactoring tool for emacs, instead of ECB?
Thanks,Pedro

Try Icicles. It lets you match (using a regexp or just a literal substring)
any part of a file name. You can optionally match also against any part of a
directory path. You can use multiple simple match patterns to progressively
narrow the set of matching candidates, so you don't need to come up with a
single, complex regexp that will do what you want. You can use set
operations on the set of matching candidates - in particular, set
complement, to more easily get what you want. You can perform actions on
multiple files and directories, all within the same command. You can save
sets of completion candidates (e.g. project files and directories) in cache
files for quick use in subsequent sessions. You can easily work with very
large sets of candidates. Lots more. And the same completion features are
available for buffers, commands, anything - not just files.

Here is the complete doc and access to the Emacs-Lisp files:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles. And here is a start to how it
can help with navigating the file system:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_File-Name_Input.

* Re: navigate through big java projects and refactoring
       [not found] <mailman.6201.1157296650.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-04 11:18 ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

op132650c@mail.telepac.pt writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to work with emacs for programming Java. Is there any other way then
> using the speedbar and ECB program, to open files easily from a big project,
> instead of having to write the full path to the source file, or
> navigate

See reply to your other post.

> through project browser of ECB? Something like, only have to write the full, or
> partial name of the java file, and open it.
>
> Is there any other refactoring tool for emacs, instead of ECB?

Why do you keep changing your name and asking the same kind of question
under differnt pseuodnyms? (Johnston, Johannes, opt132). Not that I
care, but be aware the some people have newsreaders which flag things
like this with big red banners and honking noises :-;

Anyway, in reply to your question(s):

Did you look at eclipse for Linux?

Also google up etags.

Personally I gave up with ecb as it didnt offer any real development
advantage : I just tend to use Linux links or emacs bookmarks  to
freqeuently used directories and files.  And I find "speedbar" to be
very "un-emacsy" for some reason - could never get into using it.

* Re: navigate through big java projects and refactoring
@ 2006-09-05 12:42 ` Birju Prajapati
From: Birju Prajapati @ 2006-09-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 03/09/06, op132650c@mail.telepac.pt <op132650c@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to work with emacs for programming Java. Is there any other way then
> using the speedbar and ECB program, to open files easily from a big project,
> instead of having to write the full path to the source file, or navigate
> through project browser of ECB? Something like, only have to write the full, or
> partial name of the java file, and open it.

M-x find-name-dired ?

@ 2006-09-05 13:03 ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2006-09-05 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/LocateFilesAnywhere

@ 2006-09-05 14:11 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2006-09-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

  o> Hi,

  o> I want to work with emacs for programming Java. Is there any
  o> other way then using the speedbar and ECB program, to open files
  o> easily from a big project, instead of having to write the full
  o> path to the source file, or navigate through project browser of
  o> ECB? Something like, only have to write the full, or partial name
  o> of the java file, and open it.

I use ido.el. Is wonderful for navigating large directory structures
quickly. Particularly, java ones where there are large numbers of
empty directories.

Think it does what you ask for as well, but I don't use that feature.

Phil