* same font looks different in menu and buffer
@ 2006-08-18 13:49 rachelms79
From: rachelms79 @ 2006-08-18 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I start emacs -fn rom14 and the menu bar and font menu (seems like all
the menu items) have the proper rom14 font, but the buffer has some
weird warped version of rom14, with the letters smaller and irregularly
spaced.  If I do (frame-parameter nil 'font) and ctrl-j in a scratch
buffer, it says rom14, so at least emacs thinks it's displaying rom14
in the bufffer.

FYI, if I start emacs -fn erg14, I get the exact same font appearance
as with -fn rom14 (warped irregular spaced letters).  If I start emacs
-fn 9x15 or other fonts, then those fonts look correct, but I really
prefer rom14.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

* Re: same font looks different in menu and buffer
@ 2006-08-18 15:43 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.08.2006 um 15:49 schrieb rachelms79@hotmail.com:

> I start emacs -fn rom14 and the menu bar and font menu (seems like all
> the menu items) have the proper rom14 font, but the buffer has some
> weird warped version of rom14, with the letters smaller and
> irregularly
> spaced.  If I do (frame-parameter nil 'font) and ctrl-j in a scratch
> buffer, it says rom14, so at least emacs thinks it's displaying rom14
> in the bufffer.
>
> FYI, if I start emacs -fn erg14, I get the exact same font appearance
> as with -fn rom14 (warped irregular spaced letters).  If I start emacs
> -fn 9x15 or other fonts, then those fonts look correct, but I really
> prefer rom14.

I think what you see is correct. I am used to GNU Emacsen that use
for the menus or dialog boxes bigger sized fonts than in buffers.
Could be the font you name with -fn is used for the menus, so a
smaller version must be used in buffers. And when the font is a
bitmapped font, then down-scaling them will bring some weird look. If
the font is a scalable one (PostScript, TrueType) or it has some more
default sizes, then it might look better.

You can check this in an UNIX environment with xfontsel. You might
also like to use X resources for the different parts of GNU Emacs
(recorded in ~/.Xdefaults, loaded with xrdb):

Emacs*font:             -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-
iso10646-1
Emacs.dialog*.font:     -*-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-*-sans-12-*-*-*-*-
*-iso10646-1
Emacs.pane.menubar.font:-*-utopia-bold-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
Emacs.menu*.font:       -*-lucida-bold-r-*-sans-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1

The latter is used in pop-up menus.

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield