* Suppress a warning permanently
@ 2006-07-18 17:13 harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-07-18 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is it possible to suppress warnings in emacs? If I get a warning as
mentioned here:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.semantic/1154

(and I get exactly the same message every time I start ECB), how can I
permanently prevent emacs from popping up a new buffer for that
warning. As it can be overlooked without problems as far as I am
concerned it would suffice to get this message in the message buffer.
It is really annoying to a C-x 1 on every start of ECB.

harry

* Re: Suppress a warning permanently
@ 2006-07-18 19:08 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-18 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 18 2006, harry meyers wrote:

> is it possible to suppress warnings in emacs? If I get a warning as
> mentioned here:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.semantic/1154
>
> (and I get exactly the same message every time I start ECB),

It wouldn't hurt to post the message additionally:

,----
|   ** semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook is an obsolete variable; use
|      semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook instead.
`----

Maybe ECB could use something like...

,----
| (run-hooks (if (boundp 'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook)
| 	       'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook
| 	     'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook))
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Suppress a warning permanently
@ 2006-07-19  4:45   ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-07-19  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib schrieb:

> Maybe ECB could use something like...
>
> ,----
> | (run-hooks (if (boundp 'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook)
> | 	       'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook
> | 	     'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook))
> `----

Unfortunately it does not work

> It wouldn't hurt to post the message additionally:

Yes, I agree. Next time better ;)
I wanted to post the complete thread, because I really don't understand
why they don't show a way to get rid of a unnecessary warning.
On the other hand I am even lucky. As I have two debians (both etch)
running with two exactly identical emacs (which I synchronise with
rsync), only one of them starts ECB with that warning. Don't know
why...

harry

* Obsolete hooks in ECB (was: Suppress a warning permanently)
@ 2006-07-19  8:33     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-19  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 19 2006, harry meyers wrote:

> Reiner Steib schrieb:
>
>> Maybe ECB could use something like...
>>
>> ,----
>> | (run-hooks (if (boundp 'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook)
>> | 	       'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook
>> | 	     'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook))
>> `----
>
> Unfortunately it does not work

This was meant for the ECB source code to replace code like
(run-hooks 'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook).

(I don't have ECB here, so maybe my suggestion make no sense.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Suppress a warning permanently
@ 2006-07-19 16:28   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib wrote:
> It wouldn't hurt to post the message additionally:
>
> ,----
> |   ** semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook is an obsolete variable; use
> |      semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook instead.
> `----
>
> Maybe ECB could use something like...
>
> ,----
> | (run-hooks (if (boundp 'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook)
> | 	       'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook
> | 	     'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook))
> `----

I found ecb-semantic-wrapper.el at http://ecb.cvs.sourceforge.net/ecb/ecb/
and see that it has this:

(defsubst ecb--semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook ()
   (if (boundp 'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook)
       'semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook
     'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook))

So presumably it does (run-hooks (ecb--semantic--before-fetch-tags-hook))

Shouldn't that prevent the warning?

--
Kevin

* Re: Obsolete hooks in ECB (was: Suppress a warning permanently)
@ 2006-07-20  7:24       ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-07-20  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib schrieb:

> On Wed, Jul 19 2006, harry meyers wrote:
>
> > Reiner Steib schrieb:
> >
> >> Maybe ECB could use something like...
> >>
> >> ,----
> >> `----
> >
> > Unfortunately it does not work
>
> This was meant for the ECB source code to replace code like
> (run-hooks 'semantic-before-toplevel-bovination-hook).

Yes, I was supposing it.
I forwarded this problem to the ecb mailing list and the answer was
that currently I have to live with it. So that's what I will do. ;)

harry
So