* rookie warning  Can I search files from dired?
@ 2006-03-01 12:44 bp1497
From: bp1497 @ 2006-03-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have dired showing me all the files in a directory, can I execute
some kind of search on these files from the dired screen.

I know I can do M-x shell, grep some_thing files.

I've used vim for the last 17 years and have changed jobs.  This
location does not have vim installed but does have emacs.  I prefer it
to textedit or vi

* Re: rookie warning Can I search files from dired?
@ 2006-03-01 16:06 ` pookiebearbottom
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: pookiebearbottom @ 2006-03-01 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

bp1497@att.com wrote:
> I have dired showing me all the files in a directory, can I execute
> some kind of search on these files from the dired screen.
>
> I know I can do M-x shell, grep some_thing files.
>
> I've used vim for the last 17 years and have changed jobs.  This
> location does not have vim installed but does have emacs.  I prefer it
> to textedit or vi

Mark the files you want (with m)

Then do dired-do-grep (can just hit E <- note Capital E)

-Sal

PS C-h b is your friend (it lists all of the bindings for your current
mode)
      So is C-h a regex (it will list all of the commands/variables/..
that match that regex.  If you did this with the word grep you would
have found dired-do-grep -  Not preaching here, just hopefully
teaching.  I know what a pain it is to lose your editor)

* Re: rookie warning Can I search files from dired?
@ 2006-03-01 19:45   ` billy
From: billy @ 2006-03-01 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

THankyou very much.  I have done the tutorial and have my cheet sheet
beside me.
20 years ago I ago I got friendly with emacs in the LISP Explorer
machine. When I left
it I thought emacs was picular tho that machine.  So I left it.
Several years later I discovered
my error.  too late.  I know I should have gone back to emacs long ago,
but I was just so fast with vim.  You don't think how, you just think
what, hitting keys is automatic.

* Re: rookie warning  Can I search files from dired?
@ 2006-03-02 10:45 ` Mathias Dahl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-03-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

bp1497@att.com writes:

> I have dired showing me all the files in a directory, can I execute
> some kind of search on these files from the dired screen.

I like the command `% g' which marks files containg a certain
regexp. `Q' is also useful. Check what the different commands in the
dired menus does. They are full of useful stuff.

* RE: rookie warning  Can I search files from dired?
@ 2006-03-02 23:25 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-03-02 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

A will search all marked files and Q will do query-replace over all marked
files.

Do `C-h m' or `C-h b' in Dired mode.

* Re: rookie warning  Can I search files from dired?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-03  5:47 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2006-03-03  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

bp1497> I have dired showing me all the files in a directory, can I
bp1497> execute some kind of search on these files from the dired
bp1497> screen.

bp1497> I know I can do M-x shell, grep some_thing files.

M-x grep

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.

* Re: rookie warning  Can I search files from dired?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-03 21:40 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2006-03-03 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you're not good at regexp, dired can be difficult.

An alternative is M-x igrep.  Then you can specify the file names in the
more common shell format.  E.g., *.[ch] or *.txt.  M-x next-error can be
used to step through the matches.