* CVS GNU Emacs change in font lock behaviour
@ 2005-12-30 15:42 Paul Moore
       [not found] ` <mailman.20908.1135966753.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Moore @ 2005-12-30 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just upgraded to CVS GNU Emacs, and I'm getting a change in the way
the *scratch* buffer displays fontified text with font-lock mode
switched on.

If I executed (insert (propertize "abc" 'face 'my-red-face)) in the
*scratch* buffer with my old Emacs (CVS from some time way back in
2004), the text was inserted and displayed in red. With the new
version, the face property is lost.

I assume this is related to font-lock mode being switched on, as
switching it off fixes the problem (at the expense of losing syntax
highlighting on the Lisp code, obviously...)

The old behaviour was extremely useful for testing fontification code,
and it's a pain that it has gone. But I can learn to work with the new
behaviour if I need to.

Is this a deliberate change, rather than a bug?

Thanks,
Paul.

* Re: CVS GNU Emacs change in font lock behaviour
@ 2005-12-30 18:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.20908.1135966753.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore@gmail.com>
> Date: 30 Dec 2005 07:42:57 -0800
>
> If I executed (insert (propertize "abc" 'face 'my-red-face)) in the
> *scratch* buffer with my old Emacs (CVS from some time way back in
> 2004), the text was inserted and displayed in red. With the new
> version, the face property is lost.
>
> I assume this is related to font-lock mode being switched on

Yes, font-lock is on by default from now on.

> The old behaviour was extremely useful for testing fontification code,
> and it's a pain that it has gone. But I can learn to work with the new
> behaviour if I need to.

It's probably better to test fontification code in a buffer other than
*scratch*, probably some buffer in Fundamental mode.

> Is this a deliberate change, rather than a bug?

Yes, it's a deliberate change.  It was decided that the time has come
to have font-lock on by default, as other editors do.

@ 2005-12-30 19:29   ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2005-12-30 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

One thing slightly puzzles me - you say this is because font-lock is on
by default. And yet, I have always had global-font-lock on. So it seems
to be something more specific to how font-lock has changed. It's not
important, though - maybe I had a different font-lock mode (lazy-lock,
jit-lock, whatever you get if you have neither of these...?) No matter,
I'll get used to working with the new situation.

Regards,
Paul