* Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-17 20:02 Bucky Goldberg
From: Bucky Goldberg @ 2005-12-17 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

While I wait for a response from the TeX newsgroup..maybe someone here
will be able to help.

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3 with auctex and imenu+.

which-func-mode is turned on and correctly puts function names in the
mode-line when I'm editing C or C++ files, but does not put the section
name in there when I'm editing LaTeX files, though the section menu
does pop-up when I right click in the buffer. Any ideas why I'm not
seeing this stuff?

Thanks!

* RE: Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-17 23:52 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.19717.1134911329.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-12-17 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

    While I wait for a response from the TeX newsgroup..maybe someone here
    will be able to help.

    I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3 with auctex and imenu+.

    which-func-mode is turned on and correctly puts function names in the
    mode-line when I'm editing C or C++ files, but does not put the section
    name in there when I'm editing LaTeX files, though the section menu
    does pop-up when I right click in the buffer. Any ideas why I'm not
    seeing this stuff?

I can't help with the Auctex stuff.

Imenu+ is my library, but I suspect it is unrelated to what you're
experiencing. This mailing list is for standard Emacs stuff, not external
libraries, so if you do need help with imenu+.el, it's better to email me
directly or write something on the wiki:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ImenuMode.

It's good to try to eliminate extra unknowns when trying to track down a
problem. Try not loading imenu+.el, and see if you still have the problem.
In fact, try not loading any extra libraries - use emacs -q, then load only
auxtex and see if the problem is present. If not, then load imenu.el and try
again. If not, then load imenu+.el and try again.

A priori, imenu+.el should be unrelated to the problem - it has no Tex- or
LaTeX-specific code. But you never know - maybe it breaks something. Contact
me by email if you find there is a problem with imenu+.el or need help with
it.

HTH,

  Drew

* Re: Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-18 15:34 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.19717.1134911329.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> While I wait for a response from the TeX newsgroup..maybe someone here
> will be able to help.

> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3 with auctex and imenu+.

> which-func-mode is turned on and correctly puts function names in the
> mode-line when I'm editing C or C++ files, but does not put the section
> name in there when I'm editing LaTeX files, though the section menu

Probably because of which-func-modes.

@ 2005-12-18 19:50   ` Bucky Goldberg
From: Bucky Goldberg @ 2005-12-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the response. I have tried running without imenu+ and all
kinds of other permutations, including a clean start with -q, before
posting, none of which helped.

* Re: Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-18 19:51   ` Bucky Goldberg
From: Bucky Goldberg @ 2005-12-18 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried turning which-func-mode on and off and it did seem to make a
difference.

* Re: Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-18 22:10     ` Bucky Goldberg
From: Bucky Goldberg @ 2005-12-18 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops - of course what I meant to say is that toggling which-func-mode
did NOT make a difference.

* Re: Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-19  2:43   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-19  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> While I wait for a response from the TeX newsgroup..maybe someone here
>> will be able to help.

>> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3 with auctex and imenu+.

>> which-func-mode is turned on and correctly puts function names in the
>> mode-line when I'm editing C or C++ files, but does not put the section
>> name in there when I'm editing LaTeX files, though the section menu

> Probably because of which-func-modes.

I'm not sure you've read the above since you didn't include any part of my
article in your "reply", but in case you've (mis)read it, please note the
"s" at the end.  It's not a typo.

C-h v which-func-modes RET

* Re: Editing LaTeX with GNU Emacs: mode-line problems.
@ 2005-12-19  3:30     ` Bucky Goldberg
From: Bucky Goldberg @ 2005-12-19  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're right. I did not know about this variable and thought your post
was a typo.

Not having latex-mode in which-func-modes was my problem all along.

Thanks!