* How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-09 17:16 upro
From: upro @ 2004-08-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there!

I can't figure out how to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs. I have a
German keyboard without that character.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you in advance!

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-09 19:01 ` Satya Mishra
From: Satya Mishra @ 2004-08-09 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    michael> Hi there!  I can't figure out how to type a "c" with
    michael> cedilla in emacs. I have a German keyboard without that
    michael> character.

    michael> Can anyone help me out?

    michael> Thank you in advance!

C-\ TeX RET
\ c c

HTH
Satya

--
Remove XXX and YYY to get my address

* Re: How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-09 19:32   ` upro
From: upro @ 2004-08-09 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Satya Mishra <snmishra@XXXhotYYYpop.com> writes:

>     michael> Hi there!  I can't figure out how to type a "c" with
>     michael> cedilla in emacs. I have a German keyboard without that
>     michael> character.
>
>     michael> Can anyone help me out?
>
>     michael> Thank you in advance!
>
> C-\ TeX RET
> \ c c
>
> HTH
> Satya

Sorry, after hitting C-\ the minibuffer is inactive here. "TeX" is
written in plain text into the buffer.

Do you have another idea?

Thanks a lot!

--

@ 2004-08-09 19:45     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-08-09 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> >     michael> Hi there!  I can't figure out how to type a "c" with
> >     michael> cedilla in emacs. I have a German keyboard without that
> >     michael> character.
> >
> >     michael> Can anyone help me out?
> >
> >     michael> Thank you in advance!
> >
> > C-\ TeX RET
> > \ c c
> >
> > HTH
> > Satya
>
> Sorry, after hitting C-\ the minibuffer is inactive here. "TeX" is
> written in plain text into the buffer.
>
> Do you have another idea?

C-u C-\ ...

Anyway, why don't you just use the compose key?  On my keyboard it
happens to be Shift-AltGr which you release, then type ,c to get ç.

* Re: How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-09 20:29       ` upro
From: upro @ 2004-08-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

>> >     michael> Hi there!  I can't figure out how to type a "c" with
>> >     michael> cedilla in emacs. I have a German keyboard without that
>> >     michael> character.
>> >
>> >     michael> Can anyone help me out?
>> >
>> >     michael> Thank you in advance!
>> >
>> > C-\ TeX RET
>> > \ c c
>> >
>> > HTH
>> > Satya
>>
>> Sorry, after hitting C-\ the minibuffer is inactive here. "TeX" is
>> written in plain text into the buffer.
>>
>> Do you have another idea?
>
> C-u C-\ ...
>
> Anyway, why don't you just use the compose key?  On my keyboard it
> happens to be Shift-AltGr which you release, then type ,c to get ç.

You're genious - thanks, ahem, thanç!!!

--

@ 2004-08-09 22:35 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-08-09 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi there!
>

> I can't figure out how to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs. I have a
> German keyboard without that character.
>
> Can anyone help me out?
>
> Thank you in advance!

C-x 8 , c --> ç

All ISO-8859 characters are accessible with C-x 8.

neither do we.

* Re: How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-09 22:37         ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2004-08-09 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

[...]
>> Anyway, why don't you just use the compose key?  On my keyboard it
>> happens to be Shift-AltGr which you release, then type ,c to get ç.
>
> You're genious - thanks, ahem, thanç!!!

Just for completeness: it is also possible to type `C-x 8 , c'.

    Oliver
--
24 Thermidor an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-10  4:54 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2004-08-10  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro wrote:

> Hi there!
>

> I can't figure out how to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs. I have a
> German keyboard without that character.
>
> Can anyone help me out?
>
> Thank you in advance!

You can also switch to M-x iso-accents-mode and type a ~ and then a c
to give you ç.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

To reply take the extra "o" out of the name.

* Re: How to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs
@ 2004-08-10  6:26   ` Edward Casey
From: Edward Casey @ 2004-08-10  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal Bourguignon" <spam@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Hi there!
> >

> > I can't figure out how to type a "c" with cedilla in emacs. I have a
> > German keyboard without that character.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out?
> >
> > Thank you in advance!
>
> C-x 8 , c --> [c cedilla was here]
>
> All ISO-8859 characters are accessible with C-x 8.
>
> --

Oops! Sorry about sending this to you personally, Pascal. I meant to post it here. Hopefully the
other copy got caught by your spam trap.

> Is that true of all character sets latin-iso8859-1.... latin-iso8859-15? If I type C-x 8 C-h I see
> that only a few of those characters are bound to keys. How are the others generated without using
> leim input methods?
>
> Ed.
>
> btw, with View > Encoding > Unicode I see [chinese ideogram]R instead of c cedilla. Viewing with
> Windows European I see the c cedilla again and going back to Unicode I see nothing. ??? Wouldn't
it
> help if everyone used this most general encoding (viz. Unicode) when posting and talking about
non-English characters?