* Emacs server problem
@ 2010-05-05 23:35 Roger
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1273174904.30155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Roger @ 2010-05-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have two Macs, both running OS X 10.6.3. On one of them I'm running
Gnu Emacs 22.2.1, downloaded (I believe - it was a while ago) from
emacswiki.org. On the other, I'm running Gnu Emacs 23.1, the latest
stable build for download.

On the 22.2.1 machine, I can start emacs server (M-x server-start) and
it works just fine. On the other machine, M-x server-start appears to
work fine, but on invoking emacs-client, I get "server not found -
have you started the server?" or something close to that.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs server problem
@ 2010-05-06 19:39 ` Gary
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1273174904.30155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gary @ 2010-05-06 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Roger writes:
> I have two Macs, both running OS X 10.6.3. On one of them I'm running
> Gnu Emacs 22.2.1, downloaded (I believe - it was a while ago) from
> emacswiki.org. On the other, I'm running Gnu Emacs 23.1, the latest
> stable build for download.
>
> On the 22.2.1 machine, I can start emacs server (M-x server-start) and
> it works just fine. On the other machine, M-x server-start appears to
> work fine, but on invoking emacs-client, I get "server not found -
> have you started the server?" or something close to that.
>
> Am I missing something?

How are you starting emacsclient? From the command line, or from within
another program? (I ask because I had something similar which I traced
to an incorrect emacsclient command line when I tried to use it from
mutt.)

--
Gary

* Re: Emacs server problem
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1273174904.30155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-14 12:21   ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2010-05-14 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 6, 3:39 pm, Gary <help-gnu-em...@garydjones.name> wrote:
> Roger writes:
> > I have two Macs, both running OS X 10.6.3. On one of them I'm running
> > Gnu Emacs 22.2.1, downloaded (I believe - it was a while ago) from
> > emacswiki.org. On the other, I'm running Gnu Emacs 23.1, the latest
> > stable build for download.

THe problem (I found the solution on another web site somewhere) was
that the emacsclient I was running was by default the one that ships
with OS X - which is the Emacs 22 emacsclient. Once I made sure
the new Emacs 23 emacsclient ran, everything was fine.