* get rid of leftover auto save #files#
@ 2004-04-22 14:00 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2004-04-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 448 bytes --]

Hello

When I decide to abandon changes made to a buffer.  I exit emacs without saving the file.  It asks "Modified buffers exist; exit anyway?"  I answer yes.  Now I have an auto save #file# file there.  How can I not get these files in this scenario?  I want to keep auto save on because of it's many benefits.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

* Re: get rid of leftover auto save #files#
       [not found] <mailman.971.1082642525.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-22 17:57 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2004-04-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <weaselboy1976@yahoo.com> writes:

> When I decide to abandon changes made to a buffer.  I exit emacs without saving the file.  It asks "Modified buffers exist; exit anyway?"  I answer yes.  Now I have an auto save #file# file there.  How can I not get these files in this scenario?  I want to keep auto save on because of it's many benefits.

I usually mark the file as unmodified before killing it.
[M-~ in the default configuration]

I suppose you could use the kill-buffer-hook or some related hook to
do this automatically...

* Re: get rid of leftover auto save #files#
@ 2004-04-22 20:53   ` Roodwriter
From: Roodwriter @ 2004-04-22 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Kevin Dziulko <weaselboy1976@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> When I decide to abandon changes made to a buffer.  I exit emacs without
>> saving the file.  It asks "Modified buffers exist; exit anyway?"  I
>> answer yes.  Now I have an auto save #file# file there.  How can I not
>> get these files in this scenario?  I want to keep auto save on because of
>> it's many benefits.
>
> I usually mark the file as unmodified before killing it.
> [M-~ in the default configuration]
>
> I suppose you could use the kill-buffer-hook or some related hook to
> do this automatically...

You could also use dired and type #. This will flag all the auto-save files
for deletion.

--Rod

__________

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

* Re: get rid of leftover auto save #files#
@ 2004-04-23 15:42   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-04-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
 > Kevin Dziulko <weaselboy1976@yahoo.com> writes:
 >>When I decide to abandon changes made to a buffer.  I exit emacs
 >>without saving the file.  It asks "Modified buffers exist; exit
 >>anyway?"  I answer yes.  Now I have an auto save #file# file there.
 >>How can I not get these files in this scenario?  I want to keep auto
 >>save on because of it's many benefits.
 >
 > I usually mark the file as unmodified before killing it.
 > [M-~ in the default configuration]

If I understand correctly, killing modified a buffer prompts you with
"Buffer file modified; kill anyway (yes or no)?", and if you answer
"yes" the auto-save file is automatically deleted.  So there should be
no need to `M-~' before `C-x k'.

But Lowell is presumably exiting emacs with `C-x C-c'
(save-buffers-kill-emacs), which prompts you with "Modified buffers
exist; exit anyway?" and does not delete the auto-save files.  It runs
save-some-buffers first, though, which gives the user the chance to type
`C-r M-~ q' for each modified buffer -- does that cause the auto-save
files to be deleted?

Ideally, save-some-buffers would give the user the chance to discard the
changes to a buffer (or even to all buffers)...

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: get rid of leftover auto save #files#
@ 2004-04-24 14:51     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2004-04-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> But Lowell is presumably

I believe this was intended to refer to the original
poster, rather than to me.

 - Lowell

* Re: get rid of leftover auto save #files#
@ 2004-04-26 17:31       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-04-26 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
 >>But Lowell is presumably [...]
 >
 > I believe this was intended to refer to the original
 > poster, rather than to me.

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

--
Kevin Rodgers