* Emacs in Mandrake 9.1
@ 2003-10-04 12:36 Sapient Fridge
From: Sapient Fridge @ 2003-10-04 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The EMACS (version 21.2.93.1) installed with Mandrake 9.0 was fine but
I'm having a couple of problems with one in Mandrake 9.1.

Anyone know the answers?

First problem is that I can't seem to work out how to cut and paste text
from EMACS to Mozilla( version 1.3.10).  Copying the other way round
works fine but neither ctrl-v nor the middle mouse button will past the
text in.  This sounds more like it's maybe a Mozilla problem rather than
EMACS?

---------------------------

The other problem is that whenever I bring up a new EMACS buffer it puts
it into auto-fill mode which I find extremely annoying.  The problem is
that I can't seem to stop it from doing this.  I can turn it off with:

M-x auto-fill-mode

but any new buffer created comes up in auto-fill mode again.   I've read
through the manual and tried these in my .emacs, without luck:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
(setq-default auto-fill-mode 0)
(auto-fill-mode 0)

New buffers *still* come up in auto-fill mode.  I've tried turning it
off using the Options pulldown, which claims to disable it for all text
mode buffers but that doesn't work either (it only works for the current
buffer).  Saving those options from the pulldown puts this in the .emacs
file:

(custom-set-variables
'(text-mode-hook (quote (turn-on-auto-fill turn-off-auto-fill
text-mode-hook-identify)))
..

But that has no effect. Any ideas?  Have Mandrake somehow changed the
auto fill mode so it can't be turned off?
--
sapient.fridge@spamsites.org  ICQ #17887309        *  Save the net   *
Grok: http://spam.abuse.net   http://www.cauce.org * kill a spamhaus *

* Re: Emacs in Mandrake 9.1
@ 2003-10-04 23:38 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-04 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> First problem is that I can't seem to work out how to cut and paste text
> from EMACS to Mozilla( version 1.3.10).  Copying the other way round
> works fine but neither ctrl-v nor the middle mouse button will past the
> text in.  This sounds more like it's maybe a Mozilla problem rather than
> EMACS?

	That's a standard problem (or is it feature?) with Emacs under Mandrake
9.1. using the RPMs.  You can cut and paste from any X Program into
Emacs but not visa versa.  There are a couple of things you can do to
change this:

	1) I *believe* there is some LISP you can put in your .emacs to allow
cut and paste from emacs.
	2) There are 2 versions of Emacs included in the Emacs distribution.
(No, XEmacs is not one of them).  If you install the X11 version of
Emacs Emacs will look much less Emacsish when it loads up (this may not
coexist well with regular emacs -- I forget) but you will be able to cut
and paste.

> The other problem is that whenever I bring up a new EMACS buffer it puts
> it into auto-fill mode which I find extremely annoying.

	Yup.  That's the new default configuration -- for all those people who
couldn't figure out how to turn auto fill mode on.  :D.

	I'm not sure how you would turn that off but you could probably search
for your default .emacs file and change things.

-Dan