From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Dvorak layout except when modifier key is pressed
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:45:29 -0600	[thread overview]

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 26.12.2007 um 02:31 schrieb B. T. Raven:
>
>> I recently installed Fedora 8 but it has only the basic Linux
>> functionality. I think there is something called "Developer Spin"
>> (another DVD) that I need to get the Emacs files.
>
> No, no! Xmodmap is a basic utility of X11. If you haven't installed X11,
> then of course you have only something basic before you. The developer
> packages usually contain C header files and static libraries. Of course
> you can count compiler packages to the developer packages. And sometimes
> (I think with Fedora always) you also get the source code for the
> packages, except they are third party drivers, for example for the
> graphics adapter.
>
> Commonly X11 is started (and personalised) with the help of a little
> script ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession. Templates for these files contain
> invocations of xrdb (to load and set X resources), xset (to set the path
> to X11 font repositories), and xmodmap, to correct the meaning of
> keyboard keys, particularly to set modifier keys like shift, control,
> alt, hyper, super, compose. And xmodmap allows you to swap left and
> right mouse buttons, which the left hand might like when you used for
> the pointing device.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Got Mole problems?
> Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

Thanks Rupert and Peter. I do have xmodmap on the Gnu-Linux (Gnulix or
Glunix?) computer but I haven't been able to grok how it works. Keytweak was
a breeze. One of the first things I did was to run xev and press different
keys to get the correct key designations for xmodmap syntax. Most keypresses
generated a short report on the event but "Sleep" put the screen and
keyboard into a coma from which I could recover only by pulling the plug.
Luckily the file system wasn't corrupted and it booted up again without a
problem. Other episodes in the nightmare are 1) install without network
support [ethernet card but no network] 2)DSP winmodem not recognized by
GLnix [martian Linmodem tarball successfully unpacked and compiled with Make
all and make install disappeared somewhere 3) Emacs 22.1 tarball tranferred
from msw machine download on flash drive can be started from terminal but
Gnome doesn't seem to know anything about it. ... etc. etc.

Does any of you know what xmodmap expressions I can put in some file so that
my two users (ec and su or sudo) can have the same keyboard with bottom row
super, alt, ctl, space, ctl, alt, super, hyper?

Are Mod1 thru Mod5 synonyms for these modifiers keys? More importantly, is
this system level stuff off topic here?

Ed