* xref mode question
@ 2019-11-15 21:23 David Spain
From: David Spain @ 2019-11-15 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using Emacs 25.2.2 and am trying to figure out a way in which from
the XREF window of an Emacs tags table search to get it to visit an
entry listed in that same window and not overwrite the original source
window I had open which I'm visiting the tag from. In other words, I'd
like the XREF window to go away and be replaced with the source from the
followed xref.

I miss the older functionality of the default binding of 'C-x 4 .' or as
it was known in Emacs 23 and previous versions (find-tag-other-window).

I DO like the newer xref mechanism as it shows all found references, I
just want to be able to visit a specific xref without losing my original
source window in the process.

I thought maybe the <TAB> key would do this in the XREF buffer, the
documentation would lead me to believe that, BUT the <TAB> key doesn't
do anything but attempt to insert a tab into the XREF buffer. I do have
a customization set on the <TAB> key for c-mode for the way I prefer it
to work. Could that be causing trouble? I tend to doubt that.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
David Spain