* different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw
@ 2017-05-30  6:20 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-05-30  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I've just filed a bug report on emacs and was advised to report it here too.

It's bug#27140.

Basically, when I start GUI emacs (macOS, but also Aquamacs, also reported in Xubuntu and GTK+/Linux), I don't get the default org-mode bindings. Only emacs -nw gets them.

Even if I start both with -Q, I get the exact same behavior: proper default key bindings for org-mode in emacs -nw, some bindings overridden in GUI emacs.

The discussion thread on help-gnu-emacs is here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-05/msg00306.html

Let me know if you need extra information.

Jean-Christophe

* Re: different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw
@ 2017-05-30  6:51 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-05-30  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> writes:

> I've just filed a bug report on emacs and was advised to report it here too.
>
> It's bug#27140.
>
> Basically, when I start GUI emacs (macOS, but also Aquamacs, also reported in Xubuntu and GTK+/Linux), I don't get the default org-mode bindings. Only emacs -nw gets them.
>
> Even if I start both with -Q, I get the exact same behavior: proper default key bindings for org-mode in emacs -nw, some bindings overridden in GUI emacs.
>
> The discussion thread on help-gnu-emacs is here:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-05/msg00306.html
>
> Let me know if you need extra information.

What happens if you replace, e.g.,

  (org-defkey org-mode-map [(meta left)]  'org-metaleft)

with

  (org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>")  'org-metaleft)

in "org.el"?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw
@ 2017-05-30  7:37   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-05-30  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, help-gnu-emacs

> On May 30, 2017, at 15:51, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-05/msg00306.html
>>
>> Let me know if you need extra information.
>
> What happens if you replace, e.g.,
>
>  (org-defkey org-mode-map [(meta left)]  'org-metaleft)
>
> with
>
>  (org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>")  'org-metaleft)
>
> in "org.el"?

Nothing changes.

@ 2017-05-30 12:21     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2017-05-30 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs, emacs-orgmode

Sometimes your Terminal application captures these 'extended' bindings. If
you know that your Terminal application isn't doing that (for instance, by
using key sequence help like `<f1> k M-<left>`) then I don't have any other
help to offer. I've always just accepted that org mode keybindings differ
between terminal and gui.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 3:37 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <
jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On May 30, 2017, at 15:51, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-05/msg00306.html
> >>
> >> Let me know if you need extra information.
> >
> > What happens if you replace, e.g.,
> >
> >  (org-defkey org-mode-map [(meta left)]  'org-metaleft)
> >
> > with
> >
> >  (org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>")  'org-metaleft)
> >
> > in "org.el"?
>
> Nothing changes.
>
> Jean-Christophe

* [org] different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw
@ 2017-05-30 12:29       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-05-30 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, emacs

> On May 30, 2017, at 21:21, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sometimes your Terminal application captures these 'extended' bindings.

It is the opposite that's happening. Terminal works fine. It is the GUI that does not accept the bindings. And as I wrote, it is not limited to my macOS (Emacs.app and Aquamacs show the same behavior) but to other people's GTK+ linux or Xubuntu. So it seems that's something that aught to be investigated and eventually fixed.

> I've always just accepted that org mode keybindings differ between terminal and gui.

Except that I don't *have* most bindings in GUI. There is probably a rational reason what that is happening. I'm fine with helping with the investigation but I fear that's an area where I can't do much more than that.

Jean-Christophe

> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 3:37 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com <mailto:jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > On May 30, 2017, at 15:51, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr <mailto:mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>> wrote:
> >
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-05/msg00306.html <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-05/msg00306.html>
> >>
> >> Let me know if you need extra information.
> >
> > What happens if you replace, e.g.,
> >
> >  (org-defkey org-mode-map [(meta left)]  'org-metaleft)
> >
> > with
> >
> >  (org-defkey org-mode-map (kbd "M-<left>")  'org-metaleft)
> >
> > in "org.el"?
>
> Nothing changes.
>
> Jean-Christophe

* Re: [O] [org] different key binding between GUI emacs and emacs -nw
@ 2017-05-30 13:50         ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2017-05-30 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <
jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 30, 2017, at 21:21, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sometimes your Terminal application captures these 'extended' bindings.
>

> It is the opposite that's happening. Terminal works fine. It is the GUI
> that does not accept the bindings. And as I wrote, it is not limited to my
> macOS (Emacs.app and Aquamacs show the same behavior) but to other people's
> GTK+ linux or Xubuntu. So it seems that's something that aught to be
> investigated and eventually fixed.

Ah I'm sorry. I misread the OP. That is strange.