From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:20:37 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 23.08.2006 um 16:20 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:

> I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated.  What do you
> mean by "separate the different Emacs versions [you] are using"?  None
> of your code references emacs-version, emacs-major-version, or
> emacs-minor-version.
>
>> Here is my extended hook:
>>     (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
>>           (lambda ()
>>         (setq comint-input-ring-file-name
>>           (expand-file-name "history" desktop-dirname))
>>         (setq histfile_cmd (format
>>                 "echo \"set histfile = %s\" > .emacs_tcsh-init"
>>                 comint-input-ring-file-name))
>>         (shell-command histfile_cmd)
>>     ))

Desktop-dirname points to the different emacs-major-versions. My
purpose is to have the history files unchanged while I launch a
Carbon Emacs or an Emacs.app, which otherwise would write /their/
history into the same file. And when I'll start to have an intel
based Mac with Vanderpool built-in I also could run some Losedows,
Linux, Solaris, or other BSD Emacsen ...

What I wonder is whether GNU Emacs caches the contents of the history
file. If the contents of the history file changes by interaction of
some other shell, /my/ Emacs shell would find the other's history if
it would re-read the history file.

(BTW, it worked in Emacs shell with the default ~/.tcsh_history file,
although comint-input-ring-file-name pointed to some completely
different file. Could be shell-mode could not find a command from the
history file, but then tcsh would succeed.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Well done is better than well said.