From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Question on Mule and Makor2, font display vs char input?
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:30:45 +0200	[thread overview]

> From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:38:19 -0600
>
>    Why?  What does it matter how the character's glyph is generated, if
>    in the end you see the same shape?
>
> I'm just not a fan of using images files for text.  They're typically
> slow to render, and they don't typically look very good.  We have an
> extended character set available that has the potential to make
> editing math (etc.) seemlessly integrated with editing normal text,
> and moreover this can be done with no outside dependencies.

LaTeX is not only about characters, it's a word processor, so it
doesn't make much sense (IMHO) to render only part of the text it is
supposed to produce in print, and leave the rest as \directives.

Anyway, to answer your original question whether there's a
customizable display feature that can display a string instead of
another string, then no, there's no such feature.  Overlays is the
infrastructure on which one could build such a feature (you can look,
e.g., at glasses.el for an example of doing that), but I think you
will need to write some Lisp to implement that, customizations alone
will not suffice.