* cannot run a special macro
@ 2008-10-05 16:06 Stefan Thomas
From: Stefan Thomas @ 2008-10-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear emacs-user,
I have recorded a macro and saved it in my .emacs-file.
But, unfortunately, if I run this macro, I get:
"Symbol's function definition is void: kmacro-exec-ring-item"
What is the meaning of this?
Thanks for Your support,

* RE: cannot run a special macro
@ 2008-10-05 16:57 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stefan Thomas', help-gnu-emacs

	I have recorded a macro and saved it in my .emacs-file.
	But, unfortunately, if I run this macro, I get:
	"Symbol's function definition is void: kmacro-exec-ring-item"
	What is the meaning of this?

[Please use plain-text messages for this mailing list.]

What happens when you do `C-h f kmacro-exec-ring-item RET'?

It should display something like this:

,----
| kmacro-exec-ring-item is an autoloaded Lisp function in `kmacro'.
| (kmacro-exec-ring-item item arg)
|
| Execute item item from the macro ring.
`----

This function was added in Emacs 22, I believe. If you defined your macro with
Emacs 22 or 23, and then tried to execute it with Emacs 20 or 21, that might be
the problem. Dunno.

If not, then try, before executing the macro, `M-x load-library kmacro'. Does
that help?

`kmacro-exec-ring-item' seems not to have been autoloaded by executing your
macro. It should be loaded automatically - it works for me. Which Emacs release
are you using, how did you define your macro, and so on? Do you get the same
result when you start with `emacs -q' (or `emacs -Q', if you have a recent Emacs
release)? If not, something in your init file (.emacs) is causing a problem.

* Re: cannot run a special macro
@ 2008-10-05 18:15   ` Stefan Thomas
From: Stefan Thomas @ 2008-10-05 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Drew,
If I press C-h f , my machine doesn't know
kmacro-exec-ring-item.
It knows
kmacro-call-macro           kmacro-end-and-call-macro
kmacro-end-call-mouse           kmacro-end-macro
kmacro-end-or-call-macro       kmacro-keymap
kmacro-start-macro           kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter
but nothing else.

@ 2008-10-05 19:43     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-05 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stefan Thomas'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

1. Please use plain text, not HTML, for messages to the mailing list.

2. Did you try `M-x load-library kmacro' first?

3. You can report an Emacs bug. The developers will help you determine whether
there is really a bug. Start with `emacs -q' or `emacs -Q', and give a precise
recipe for reproducing the behavior you see. See the Emacs manual, node Bugs for
more info. Without a precise recipe of what you did, it will be difficult for
anyone to help you.

	From: Stefan Thomas Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:15 AM