* how to set C-tab for 'other-window in terminal
@ 2009-03-21 13:02 Santanu
From: Santanu @ 2009-03-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have the following line in my ~/.emacs:
---------------
(global-set-key [(control tab)] 'other-window)
---------------
Now, when I press C-Tab in emacs (open in its own window in X), it
works as expected.

But if I open emacs in a terminal (say, gnome-terminal) with "emacs -
nw", the above key combination does not work. What am I missing? I am
using "GNU Emacs-23.0.60.1" in Ubuntu 8.10.

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee

* Re: how to set C-tab for 'other-window in terminal
@ 2009-03-21 14:43 ` ventolerac
       [not found] ` <mailman.3723.1237648851.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ventolerac @ 2009-03-21 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In text terminals, Control-Tab does not send anything to the
terminal.  You still will press `C-x o'  for  `other-window'.

@ 2009-03-21 15:20 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3723.1237648851.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-21 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Santanu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.03.2009 um 14:02 schrieb Santanu:

> What am I missing?

Understanding.

A terminal or a terminal emulation in software has 32 control
characters. To learn them, invoke

	M-x unix-manual RET ascii RET

They are those before SPC.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

@ 2009-03-21 15:30   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 21.03.2009 um 14:02 schrieb Santanu:
>
>> What am I missing?
>

> Understanding.
>
> A terminal or a terminal emulation in software has 32 control
> characters. To learn them, invoke
>
> 	M-x unix-manual RET ascii RET
>
> They are those before SPC.

However, there is a solution with some terminal emulators (or if you
have access to it, you could modify the firmware of your terminal).

Eg. with xterm, you could add translations to map X key chords to
ASCII control sequences, and then have emacs interpret these control
sequences.

Have a look at http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/daveg/Info/backtab-howto.txt

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: how to set C-tab for 'other-window in terminal
@ 2009-03-21 22:46     ` Santanu
From: Santanu @ 2009-03-21 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I now understand the reason.
While I understand that C-TAB won't be available in
emacs in console mode, I have found a roundabout way
to enable console mode emacs to receive C-TAB key.

I now have the following in my .emacs:
---------------------------
(define-key function-key-map [(f12)] 'event-apply-control-modifier)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-TAB") 'other-window)
Of course, this is not a solution to the problem, just for
my satisfaction :-)

BTW, is there any way to represent C-TAB using [()]
representation instead of using kbd? I tried but nothing
seems to work.

@Pascal Bourguignon: Thanks for the link. It was very
informative.

Regards,