* about the key translation from C-L to C-l
@ 2008-11-15  9:29 jking
From: jking @ 2008-11-15  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, guys,

Does anyone know why emacs translate the key binding of recenter
command
from C-L to C-l?

In all the document that I have seen, C-l is the binding of M-x
recenter
command. But why in actual emacs program, C-S-l ( i.e. C-L) take
effect
instead of C-l.

Thanks.

Justin

* RE: about the key translation from C-L to C-l
@ 2008-11-15 16:05 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-11-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'jking', help-gnu-emacs

> Does anyone know why emacs translate the key binding of recenter
> command from C-L to C-l?
>
> In all the document that I have seen, C-l is the binding of M-x
> recenter command. But why in actual emacs program, C-S-l
> ( i.e. C-L) take effect instead of C-l.

Good question; not obvious.

See node Key Sequence Input in the Elisp manual. It says this:

 "If an input character is upper-case (or has the shift modifier)
  and has no key binding, but its lower-case equivalent has one,
  then `read-key-sequence' converts the character to lower case.
  Note that `lookup-key' does not perform case conversion in this
  way."

BTW, I knew this was documented somewhere, but it took me a while to find it. I
looked in both the Emacs and Elisp manuals. It's not in either index, at least
not under "shift". I ended up searching the manuals, which is time-consuming
because there are so many hits for "shift" (and different meanings of it). I've
filed a doc bug to get this indexed.