I've surpassed any goal I set for myself as far as my body, my career, and getting married. Fear of failure must never be a reason not to try something. The greatest happiness is to know the source of unhappiness. There are few people so stubborn in their atheism who when danger is pressing in will not acknowledge the divine power. The whole life of an American is passed like a game of chance, a revolutionary crisis, or a battle. It is well for the heart to be naive and the mind not to be. Happiness is the interval between periods of unhappiness. The cynics are right nine times out of ten. Faith is like electricity. You can't see it, but you can see the light. There is nothing more likely to start disagreement among people or countries than an agreement. Noble deeds and hot baths are the best cures for depression. How frighteningly few are the persons whose death would spoil our appetite and make the world seem empty. Wealth and want equally harden the human heart, like frost and fire both are alien to human flesh. Learning to dislike children at an early age saves a lot of expense and aggravation later in life. A broken heart is a very pleasant complaint for a man in London if he has a comfortable income. Action is character.