* trouble writing a conditional, or with lambda
@ 2003-05-24 16:09 Florian von Savigny
From: Florian von Savigny @ 2003-05-24 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sigh ...

some basic lisp, I'm afraid, but I did consult the manual and tested
in lisp-interaction-mode, but did not get any the wiser.

I'm trying to get a function to work differently depending on whether
emacs runs under X or on a terminal:

   (if (eq window-system nil)
       ; running under a terminal
       (lambda ()
	       (split-window)
	       (switch-to-buffer "*foo*")
	       )
    ; running under a window system
    (lambda ()
	     (select-frame (make-frame))
	     (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 50 24)
	     (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 150 120)
	     ))

It seems that everything in the lambda expressions is ignored
(i.e. nothing happens).  I used these lambda expressions because
simply putting a body of functions got error messages about "Invalid
function"s. But it seems I don't get these right.

       (lambda (
		(split-window)
		(switch-to-buffer "*foo*")
               ))

also seems to be valid syntax, but is also ignored.

Can anybody help how to get this simple conditional to work?

--

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.