unofficial mirror of emacs-tangents@gnu.org
* Re: Emacs website, Lisp, and other
       [not found] ` <871q33rj7v.fsf@dataswamp.org>
@ 2024-08-05 20:03   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2024-08-05 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

Hello, Emanuel.

On Mon, Aug 05, 2024 at 00:55:48 +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Jeremy Bryant wrote:

> > Lisp is the most powerful and elegant of programming
> > languages. If you want to see how powerful and elegant
> > a programming language can be, you need to learn Lisp.
> > It will give you standard for measuring other languages.

> Ah, I don't know, that kind of boasting. Powerful and elegant
> are both immeasurable things, well, maybe in electrical
> engineering one can measure it.

> > Calling Emacs Lisp "python-like" is derogatory to Emacs
> > Lisp. Python has some of the characteristics that make Lisp
> > superior, but not all of them.

> Okay, then everyone should know this is a controversial thing
> to say. No one, or very few, would recommend Emacs Lisp as an
> alternative to Python 2024.

> It will sounds like we are a bunch of fanatics boasting from
> our own echo chamber were, inside it, we all are fantastic and
> high on Lisp.

> Lisp's superiority is a myth.

> To me it is more like a drug :)

To understand the opposite point of view, read one of Paul Graham's
essays at https://paulgraham.com/icad.html, where he describes 9
novelties introduced by Lisp into programming in 1958, and how most, but
not all, of these have since been adopted by lesser languages.

My own view is that Lisp indeed is one of the top languages, but that
Common Lisp is too big, and thus too difficult, to learn for most
programmers.  For those who succeed in learning it, their productivity
will be enormous whilst using it.  Maybe this productivity could be
matched by other "strange" languages (Haskell, perhaps?), but not by
"normal" languages such as C, C++, Java, Python or perl.  I think it a
pity that a moderate sized Lisp, something around the size of Emacs Lisp
without the cl-* extensions, never made it as a general purpose language
alongside the above.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

---

* Emacs website, Lisp, and other
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-tangents

Alan, we both opened a discussion on tangents.

@ 2024-08-06  7:42     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2024-08-06  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-tangents

* Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> [2024-08-05 23:04]:
> To understand the opposite point of view, read one of Paul Graham's
> essays at https://paulgraham.com/icad.html, where he describes 9
> novelties introduced by Lisp into programming in 1958, and how most, but
> not all, of these have since been adopted by lesser languages.

I have read it, of course articles by Graham are very insightful.

> My own view is that Lisp indeed is one of the top languages, but that
> Common Lisp is too big, and thus too difficult, to learn for most
> programmers.

My personal view on Common Lisp at the time when I was learning it was
that it was childish simple as compared to previous programming
languages I knew. I even got impression that people who loved Guile,
Scheme, Emacs Lisp, Common Lisp are bragging over the childish easy
language. Learning was not hard, it was pleasure, and I was feeling
like coming back home.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

✡️🛡️ Proudly standing with Israel, a nation rooted in history and culture. Let's condemn hatred and promote understanding.

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

---
via emacs-tangents mailing list (https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-tangents)