unofficial mirror of emacs-tangents@gnu.org
* Re: Ligature support
       [not found]                                       ` <E1mnYRl-00074V-I1@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2021-11-18 12:32                                         ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-11-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: yandros, emacs-tangents, eliz, larsi

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > - Atom File Icons Plugin  MIT LICENSE
>
> Actually the term "MIT license" is a confusion for two similar
> but not identical license.  One is the X11 license and the other is the
> Expat license.  Would you please distinguish them?
> See https://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.

In both cases where the overview said "MIT License", it is actually the
Expat license:

https://github.com/file-icons/atom/blob/master/LICENSE.md
https://github.com/domtronn/all-the-icons.el/blob/master/LICENSE

>   > The fonts are just packaged up SVG image files from the above named icon
>   > sets (e.g. Material Icons).
>
> I can see various meanings for "package up SVG files", and it can make
> a difference regarding copyright.
>
> One meaning is that some entity A released SVG files
> and another entity B packaged them as fonts.  Is that what you mean?
> If so, which one put the license on the fonts?

1. In this case, the fonts were released with the same license that was
   originally used for the SVG files:

   https://google.github.io/material-design-icons/#licensing

2. In two cases, the icons were actually originally released both as SVG
   files, and as fonts using the previously stated license:

   https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
   https://github.com/erikflowers/weather-icons#licensing
   https://github.com/file-icons/atom

3. In this case, the original files used expat:

   https://github.com/primer/octicons/blob/main/LICENSE

   But the font is released using SIL Open Font License.  From some
   cursory research online, it seems like this may also have been
   released by the original copyright holder using the SIL license at
   some point, but I'm not sure.

4. Finally, the custom made font uses the Expat license:

@ 2021-11-20  7:39                                           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-11-20  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: yandros, emacs-tangents, eliz, larsi

I'm sure we can use this one way or another.

Is all the material available in a way that avoids the SIL font license?
It is better to avoid that if possible.

* Re: Ligature support
@ 2021-11-20 11:32                                             ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-11-20 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: yandros, emacs-tangents, eliz, larsi

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Is all the material available in a way that avoids the SIL font license?
> It is better to avoid that if possible.

It looks like that, yes.  I'll make sure to specifically avoid the SIL
font license when possible in my in-development library icons.el.

* Re: Ligature support
@ 2021-11-20 21:29                                             ` chad
From: chad @ 2021-11-20 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-tangents

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 11:39 PM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Is all the material available in a way that avoids the SIL font license?
> It is better to avoid that if possible.

 Out of curiosity, what makes the SIL licence something to be avoided? The
GNU project licenses list (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html)
doesn't mention anything that makes me think it should be avoided, and in
fact it suggests to me that the SIL license is one of the better choices.

(This is largely academic to me at this point, but in my other work-life,
we almost released some content-specific icons as part of a font, so I
looked a bit to make sure that there was reasonable libre license, and SIL
seemed to be a reasonable choice. If something changed or I missed
something, I'm interested.)

Thanks in advance,
~Chad

* Re: Ligature support
@ 2021-11-21  5:17                                               ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-11-21  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: yandros, emacs-tangents, eliz, larsi

  > > Is all the material available in a way that avoids the SIL font license?
  > > It is better to avoid that if possible.

  > It looks like that, yes.  I'll make sure to specifically avoid the SIL
  > font license when possible in my in-development library icons.el.

It is desirable to avoid the SIL font license, but it isn't crucial.

* Re: Ligature support
@ 2021-11-22  4:29                                               ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-11-22  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs-tangents

  >  Out of curiosity, what makes the SIL licence something to be avoided?

The problem is described explicily in the item in
https://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.  It is not disastrous, but
it is annoying.