On Sat, Oct 15, 2022, 11:25 John Yates wrote: > mechanism. Perhaps an ELPA section in > Sacha's Emacs News would suffice. > I have a list of new packages at the end of the newsletter, and I've recently started indicating their package archive as well. In addition, I email info-gnu-emacs@gnu.org when I notice new GNU ELPA packages. > but also commented on and "reviewed". > This seems to suggest a review site. (A quick web search suggests > that there are frameworks out there to facilitate creating such > sites.) That said, posting opinions seems of low value and rarely > actionable (see below). > Prot does a great job of writing blog posts and often making videos about his new packages, which are usually posted to GNU ELPA. I link to these in Emacs News, and they'll probably come up in searches as well. I notice that interesting new packages tend to get picked up in blog posts and Reddit threads in the weeks after the packages are published. I currently don't have the time to summarize posts beyond quick links, but perhaps someone would like to do a monthly round up like the way This Month in Org does? > > Perhaps also a place where people can post ideas for packages > This is a conversation. Would not a mailing list suffice. What is > wrong with help-gnu-emacs? > I sometimes see conversations like that grow out of mailing lists or web-based forums like Reddit. Ideas are pretty easy to float, though, and it's hard to match them up with a person with the same itch. It seems to work out better when people share what they've figured out so far, then other people say they want something like that too, and then the code gets turned into a package. > or where abandoned packages can find new maintainers. > How would this relate to https://github.com/emacsattic? > When there's an announcement, I usually put it in a Help Wanted section at the start of Emacs News. I am very impressed with Eli's leadership of emacs development. Eli is awesome! More immediately, look at his effort to drive toward better > abstraction and unification of the existing find-file and > find-sibling-file with Damien Cassou's pending related-files. This is > exactly the sort of effort I would hope to support. I see such > activities as curation. Thus I could imagine an emacs-curate mailing > list. I would be happy to subscribe. > Andres Ramirez has been sending me links to interesting emacs-devel messages for possible inclusion in Emacs News. I'd love to get other people's links and notes as well. I read emacs-devel on a very cursory level (mostly looking at subjects and what Eli replies :) ), so extra context would be great! Sacha >