Richard Stallman writes: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > > If two different shells will try to write history into one single file, > > > are they doomed to give bad results, one way or another... > > > Not necessarily. If both shells use a single write() syscall on an > > O_APPEND file, they should work as expected to my awareness. > > We are miscommunicating. The way you expect it to work is, in my > opinion, a bad result -- various histories interspersed. > > It seems to me that the crucial thing is for each Bash process > to have its own separate history. > > Do you think that behavior would be bad? Bad? No. It's not what I'd prefer, though. Note that, with either separate or interspersed histories, history should never be lost, so, if a file is being shared by multiple shells (even if it is not continuously re-read), care should be taken not to lose data. > > If a bash process decides to rotate the history file as a result of > > HISTSIZE, and another bash process decides to do the same, one of their > > new history entries would be lost due to the other one overriding it. > > This would be a bug. > > Only if they share one single history file. If each has its own > history file, each can handle it as if it were your only Bash process. Indeed. How would these histories be recalled, though? Which file does a new shell read? -- Arsen Arsenović