Hi Jean, Jean Louis writes: >> > Say that the history has eight entries, and a ninth was added by a >> > parallel process, the current process would be at the point after the >> > eighth element and should continue reading from there next time it wants >> > a history entry. > > Arsen, explore options of the command `history' to do what you want, > you can save history: > > $ history -a > > and you can re-read history file: > > $ history -r > > and by using those options you can mix history from different Bash > sessions, and also re-use the history from other Bash session. Thanks for the tip. I already have something using these flags implemented: PROMPT_COMMAND="$PROMPT_COMMAND;history -a; history -c; history -r") which is a functional hack, for the most part. It still has some of the problems mentioned in my original message (history is only added to after a command concludes, sporadic truncation still happens, etc), plus this approach is rather ugly. Thanks again, have a lovely day. -- Arsen Arsenović