* How to get commit message on vc-change-log
@ 2010-07-28  6:13 Aneesh Kumar K.V
From: Aneesh Kumar K.V @ 2010-07-28  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Hi,

What command will help me find the the commit message
of a commit in logview ?. 'D' gives me diff but not the commit message

-aneesh

* Re: How to get commit message on vc-change-log
@ 2010-07-28  6:20 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-07-28  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: aneesh.kumar

aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com (Aneesh Kumar K.V) writes:

> What command will help me find the the commit message of a commit in
> logview ?. 'D' gives me diff but not the commit message

The Log View already shows the commit messages, doesn't it?

BTW, this type of questions are best suited to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Re: How to get commit message on vc-change-log
@ 2010-07-28  8:16 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-07-28  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aneesh Kumar K.V; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com (Aneesh Kumar K.V) writes:

> Hi,
>
> What command will help me find the the commit message
> of a commit in logview ?. 'D' gives me diff but not the commit message

Are you looking from the short format log (like the one from C-x v L)
and you want to see the full commit message, not just the one line
form?

It sounds like a good idea that we should provide a command to show the full log.

* Re: How to get commit message on vc-change-log
@ 2010-07-28  9:09   ` Aneesh Kumar K. V
From: Aneesh Kumar K. V @ 2010-07-28  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:16:45 -0400, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org> wrote:
> aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com (Aneesh Kumar K.V) writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What command will help me find the the commit message
> > of a commit in logview ?. 'D' gives me diff but not the commit message
>
> Are you looking from the short format log (like the one from C-x v L)
> and you want to see the full commit message, not just the one line
> form?

full commit message

> It sounds like a good idea that we should provide a command to show
> the full log.

I was expecting to get the output of 'git show'  with 'D' key.

@ 2010-07-28 19:42     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-07-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aneesh Kumar K. V; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

"Aneesh Kumar K. V" <aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:16:45 -0400, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org> wrote:
>> aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com (Aneesh Kumar K.V) writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What command will help me find the the commit message
>> > of a commit in logview ?. 'D' gives me diff but not the commit message
>>
>> Are you looking from the short format log (like the one from C-x v L)
>> and you want to see the full commit message, not just the one line
>> form?
>
> full commit message
>

>> It sounds like a good idea that we should provide a command to show
>> the full log.
>
> I was expecting to get the output of 'git show'  with 'D' key.

D shows just the diff.  This is the fist time that someone requests to
see the log too...

IMO we need more input from git users about what's better here:
use git show for D, leave it as it is and add another command for git
show, etc.

* Re: How to get commit message on vc-change-log
@ 2010-07-30  6:59       ` Aneesh Kumar K. V
From: Aneesh Kumar K. V @ 2010-07-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:42:45 -0400, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Aneesh Kumar K. V" <aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> >> Are you looking from the short format log (like the one from C-x v L)
> >> and you want to see the full commit message, not just the one line
> >> form?
> >
> > full commit message
> >

> >> It sounds like a good idea that we should provide a command to show
> >> the full log.
> >
> > I was expecting to get the output of 'git show'  with 'D' key.
>
> D shows just the diff.  This is the fist time that someone requests to
> see the log too...
>
> IMO we need more input from git users about what's better here:
> use git show for D, leave it as it is and add another command for git
> show, etc.

I have already filed bugs related to these against emacs. I will
continue to do so and can help in vc-git.el testing.

-aneesh